How to know if a substack's script has finished loading?

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Zax

How to know if a substack's script has finished loading?

Post by Zax » Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:27 pm

Hello,

Is there a way to know if a substack's script has finished loading? Something like a message that could be intercepted in a callback.
I use the following structure in my stacks:

Code: Select all

on preOpenStack
   insert the script of stack myCustomErrorReportStack into front // a substack
   insert the script of stack myLibraryStack into back // another substack
   send "prefsRead" to me in 100 milliseconds ///// arbitrary value!
end preOpenStack

on prefsRead // read app preferences
   callToLibraryCommand // a command defined in myLibraryStack substack
end prefsRead
The problem here is that the arbitrary value (100 milliseconds) needed to allow scripts to load depends on the user's machine - mainly their disk type and processor I suppose. This value could sometimes be reduced to speed up main stack loading, and sometimes turns out to be too low, and it leads to a critical error if I call prefsRead too early.

Thank you.

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: How to know if a substack's script has finished loading?

Post by richmond62 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:49 pm

I did something very simple, and it may not suit your needs, but here goes anyway. 8)

I made a stack "Home Stack" and a substack "Subordinate",

AND I put this in the script of a button on stack "Home Stack":

on mouseUp
   put empty into fld "fDONE"
   open stack "Subordinate"
end mouseUp
and I put this into the stack "Subordinate":

on openStack
   set the left of me to ((the right of stack "Home Stack") + 20)
   set the top of me to the top of stack "Home Stack"
   wait 10 secs
   put "Finished" into fld "fDONE" of stack "Home Stack"
end openStack
The reason I put a 10 second wait in there was to simulate a long and complicated openStack script.
-
SShot 2023-11-10 at 15.49.47.png
-
Attachments
Home Stack.livecode.zip
Stack.
(1.14 KiB) Downloaded 51 times

LCMark
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LCMark » Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:03 pm

Zax wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:27 pm
Is there a way to know if a substack's script has finished loading? Something like a message that could be intercepted in a callback.
I use the following structure in my stacks:
The scripts inserted by the 'insert' command will be in the message path as soon as the insert command finishes (unless there's a syntax error in the script in which case it won't). i.e. There is no 'threading' or async stuff going on.

Specifically, if 'callToLibraryCommand' is a handler in one of your back or front scripts, it can be called immediately after the insert.
The problem here is that the arbitrary value (100 milliseconds) needed to allow scripts to load depends on the user's machine - mainly their disk type and processor I suppose. This value could sometimes be reduced to speed up main stack loading, and sometimes turns out to be too low, and it leads to a critical error if I call prefsRead too early.
If that is the case then it is something in your code which is doing something 'in time' on startup and needs to complete for your code to work correctly - so you should be able to make that 'callback' when whatever it is doing is done so that your app startup to continue (i.e. no need for an arbitrary 'wait').

Zax

Post by Zax » Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:51 am

Thank you for your answers.
LCMark wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:03 pm
The scripts inserted by the 'insert' command will be in the message path as soon as the insert command finishes (unless there's a syntax error in the script in which case it won't). i.e. There is no 'threading' or async stuff going on.

Specifically, if 'callToLibraryCommand' is a handler in one of your back or front scripts, it can be called immediately after the insert.
I forgot to specify that I only encountered this problem in the standalone versions.
LCMark wrote:
If that is the case then it is something in your code which is doing something 'in time' on startup and needs to complete for your code to work correctly - so you should be able to make that 'callback' when whatever it is doing is done so that your app startup to continue (i.e. no need for an arbitrary 'wait').
OK, I'll check my startup process.

LCMark
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LCMark » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:26 am

@Zax: Are you using any inclusions in your project? In particular what is the critical error you are receiving in prefsRead?

There’s an internal startup script which is added to standalones which ensures all the things you specify in standalone settings inclusions to be loaded and initialised.

I don’t think there any ones we provide which don’t startup immediately so it could be a third party one causing your issue potentially.

stam

Post by stam » Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:36 pm

Out of curiosity, could it be something like revCopyFile/revCopyFolder, which requires the common library that has be loaded first?
Dictionary wrote:Note: In a standalone application the Common library is implemented as a hidden group and made available when the group receives its first openBackground message. During the first part of the application's startup process, before this message is sent, the revCopyFile command is not yet available. This may affect attempts to use this command in startup, preOpenStack, openStack, or preOpenCard handlers in the main stack. Once the application has finished starting up, the library is available and the revCopyFile command can be used in any handler.
I know this was an issue for me when on startup the app would check for preferences and if none found would copy the default folder and documents to the preferences folder. I had to move this to the openCard handler of the slash screen instead...

Zax

Post by Zax » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:35 am

LCMark wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:26 am
@Zax: Are you using any inclusions in your project? In particular what is the critical error you are receiving in prefsRead?
In my example, the error would be that "callToLibraryCommand" is not recognized/handled - makes sense if the call comes too early and myLibraryStack is not already loaded.

Most of my apps use these inclusions:
- tsNet
- spinner
- datagrid
- cursors
- ask and answer dialogs
and sometimes : XML

stam

Post by stam » Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:02 pm

Zax wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:35 am
LCMark wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:26 am
In my example, the error would be that "callToLibraryCommand" is not recognized/handled - makes sense if the call comes too early and myLibraryStack is not already loaded.

Most of my apps use these inclusions:
- tsNet
- spinner
- datagrid
- cursors
- ask and answer dialogs
and sometimes : XML
Perhaps it would be useful to include the handler for callToLibraryCommand here?

The other thing to consider is to include a callback from the myLibraryStack's libraryStack command, so that callToLibraryCommand is triggered from that (i.e. after the library as loaded)

LCMark
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LCMark » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:26 pm

@stam: Librarystack is sent immediately after the script is loaded with ‘start using’ and isn’t delayed so that wouldn’t make a difference here.

The common library thing could be a thing - except that the hidden group thing was change quite a while ago - things like common library should be inserted by the internal startup script before any user script runs (however as you have clearly had a problem there presumably in recent history we will check whether that is still a problem!)

@zax: That error can hide an actual error - if whatever is failing is called directly from that handler and it isn’t pushing an error then it can manifest as a ‘cant find handler’ error so seeing the code of the handler which is failing would help.

Zax

Post by Zax » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:18 am

Well, I just removed the delays (send with...) from my opening script, recompiled and it works correctly in standalone environment
Anyway, I now have a better understanding of what happens at startup. If my "cant find handler" problem comes back, I will post the code.

Thank you for your answers.

Zax

Post by Zax » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:30 pm

LCMark wrote:
The scripts inserted by the 'insert' command will be in the message path as soon as the insert command finishes [...]

I currently don't have enough time to do in-depth testing, but there is still something I'd like to be sure of.
Concerning a standalone app, if I write:

on preOpenStack
   insert the script of stack myLibraryStack into back // a substack
   callToLibraryCommand // a command defined in myLibraryStack substack
end preOpenStack
Assuming myLibraryStack is a fairly heavy substack, with lots of images, it might take a few ticks before it's really up and running.
Is the "insert the script of..." a blocking command in a standalone? Is the current handler frozen until the script finishes loading?

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:57 pm

If it's a substack then it's already loaded. LC loads all stacks in the stack file when the mainstack opens. Inserting a script is just a tweak to the message path and should be nearly instantaneous.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Zax

Post by Zax » Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:53 am

OK, thank you Jacqueline :)

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”