stack changes size when going to another card

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

jameshale
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: stack changes size when going to another card

Post by jameshale » Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:18 pm

Ahh, the responsive layout.
Yes I used it quite extensively until it began to break.
I then slowly removed it by deleting any responsive layout custom properties from all the cards as well as most of my controls.
It is certainly possible that is was the root cause to this shenanigans but as I said it has been removed.
Also it is not in my test stack.
So even if remnants exist in my app stack, closing and removing it from memory should remove even those.
Yet as I said, the test stack still misbehaves when it is all alone.

LCMark
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LCMark » Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:20 pm

@jameshale: There's a cResponsiveLayout custom property set in the stack of the test stack you uploaded above... I wonder if that's causing the issue there? It appears to have a key in it which suggests 'landscape' - but why that would only affect one card I'm not sure.

stam

Post by stam » Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:23 pm

I've never been able to completely remove responseLayout and have had to start from scratch.

Perhaps try removing the extension com.livecode.library.responsiveLayout.1.0.9 2 (or whatever version you have) from your Extensions folder, restart LC and see if the problem persists?

jameshale

Post by jameshale » Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:29 pm

Aurgh!
How did that get there?
I simply created a new stack and added three cards to it. End of story.
Is it possible that my app stack could have somehow have contaminated the test stack?
Certainly the behaviour only appears in the test stack once I open the app stack and then remains until quit.

I will give your suggestion a go in the morning. Thanks Mark.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:06 pm

jameshale wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:29 pm
Aurgh!
How did that get there?
I simply created a new stack and added three cards to it. End of story.
Is it possible that my app stack could have somehow have contaminated the test stack?
Certainly the behaviour only appears in the test stack once I open the app stack and then remains until quit.
One of the many reasons I prefer to handle resizing myself (in addition to the efficiency, flexibility, certainty, and control) is that having done so is immediately evident when looking at scripts.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:52 pm

Yes, Richard, but maybe we would in fact use the "responsive Layout" stuff more
if there was some kind of (understandable) DOCUMENTATION AT ALL! 8)

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:52 pm

I prefer to 'Enhance' my life in other ways.

jameshale

Post by jameshale » Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:02 am

!!!SOLVED!!!

@stam "dar 1" was meant to read "card 1" and please accept my apologies for calling you Mark. Posting in the early hours of the morning can lead to all types of errors (similar to coding)
I cannot find any reference to the responsive layout in my copy of the test stack (checked custom props of all cards and the stack) however your suggestion to remove the RL extension hit the spot.
Now card changes have no effect on stack size regardless of loading order.

THANK YOU! :D :D

I had completely forgotten about the "Extensions" folder when looking for things that could be having an impact.
I agree that the lack of docs on the RL is a real pain.
Thanks to all to have looked at this issue for me I really do appreciate your various inputs.

stam

Post by stam » Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:18 am

jameshale wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:02 am
!!!SOLVED!!!

@stam "dar 1" was meant to read "card 1" and please accept my apologies for calling you Mark. Posting in the early hours of the morning can lead to all types of errors (similar to coding)
I cannot find any reference to the responsive layout in my copy of the test stack (checked custom props of all cards and the stack) however your suggestion to remove the RL extension hit the spot.
Now card changes have no effect on stack size regardless of loading order.

THANK YOU! :D :D

I had completely forgotten about the "Extensions" folder when looking for things that could be having an impact.
I agree that the lack of docs on the RL is a real pain.
Thanks to all to have looked at this issue for me I really do appreciate your various inputs.
Glad u got it sorted, although you didn’t call me Mark (at least it looked like u were answering @LCMark’s comment) and it was @Richmond that asked about dar1 lol ;)

Out of curiosity, did deleting the custom prop cResponsiveLayout as recommended by @LCMark not do the trick?
Uninstalling responsiveLayout is the nuclear option ;)

jameshale

Post by jameshale » Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:50 am

@stam - sorry, let's say the past few days have befuddled me.

The test stack I have on my machine didn't have a custom prop cResponsiveLayout.
Seems like I must have made a new one.
However it still exhibited the same behaviour as the one I posted.
As for the nuclear option, "hey, it worked" and until the mothership give more docs about it I have no reason to use it now.
For me it was more trouble than it was worth.
I think a single card (user view) stack would be ok, but once I began to use it on a second card things began to go awry.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:26 am

It is probably time for a long walk on the hills, or something similar, to clear the "fog" a bit. 8)

stam

Post by stam » Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:50 pm

jameshale wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:50 am
As for the nuclear option, "hey, it worked" and until the mothership give more docs about it I have no reason to use it now.
For me it was more trouble than it was worth.
Can’t say you’re wrong - I mean I still have it installed but I never use this. All attempts at doing so have led to me deleting the stack I was working in and starting from scratch.

I still live in the hope that responsiveLayout will receive more love but in its current state and level of documentation, it’s not fit for purpose and I’ve reverted to using a combination of the GM (as buggy as that is, it is at least usable with some precautions) and the resizeStack handler.

As far as I can tell, responsiveLayout is trying to emulate what bootstrap has done for webdesign - the best interface to achieve this would be to emulate what RapidWeaver does (a nice Mac-only web design app). It is still a bit to get your head around, but works well.
The current interface for responsiveLayout in LC is just unusable sadly, easy to miss-configure which leads to ruinous results.

So rather than just produce documentation, I’d like to see a serious, dedicated interface to this…

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:41 pm

I can't use it either. I tried, and was excited to see we might have an easier solution for layouts. But without good documentation I was lost, and I even wrote to Panos for suggestions but I wasn't able to extrapolate from what he told me.

I have written manual resizing scripts and they are fine for small stacks with a few controls. But it's so tedious when you have hundreds of controls over multiple stacks that for one large project I hired someone to do it because I couldn't face the tedium. That's why I fall back on fullscreenmode, even though that has its own limitations.

LC would do well to produce extensive documentation and a couple of detailed videos. Maybe that would clear up some things.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”