Current Best Practices

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, robinmiller, kevinmiller

bogs

Re: Current Best Practices

Post by bogs » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:28 pm

Well sure, you want to be safe about it, but where is the fun in that?! :twisted:

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:31 pm

bogs

Post by bogs » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:44 pm

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of Super Dave Osborn!

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:01 pm

HA, kids stuff! :-D

bogs

Post by bogs » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:23 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

hypercardjdowns
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by hypercardjdowns » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:41 pm

Klaus wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:47 pm
We should not name LC objects with numbers, so I really doubt this is a glorious idea. 8)
Add a c at the beginning (-> c102719 or c_102719) or something like that to disarm the situation.
Thanks, all. This has been very helpful.

Regarding number of cards, I would likely build in some mechanism to archive old cards after a certain time, to keep things nimble. Maybe annually.

Regarding card names, I appreciate the suggestions. My main issue to work out is ensuring cards are always in the correct chronological order by date, so they can be navigated like simple page turns. Also, working out a looping card creation routine such that when I navigate to a page that does not exist, say, three weeks in the future, that the correct cards are created between "now and then," as it were.

J.
D. John Downs | Old school HyperCard enthusiast | Novice LC Indy hobbyist
I have an extremely busy career, so please forgive my "come and go" manner.

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:31 am

Hi.

Ordering cards by any criteria is straightforward. I do not think it is important to name your cards.

I would instead place a background field, perhaps hidden, and load something pertinent into it on each card. For example, imagine you had an address book that included both friends and family, and had that label in the field. You could then mark the cards where that field equalled "family", say, and sort marked cards.There are a million ways to work that out. Per your desire to keep date sorting, though you certainly could imbed the date into the name of each card, and maybe that might have other uses, I just feel more comfortable not setting card names at all, and place one or more informative pieces of data inside a background field. This is a matter of style, though. The important thing is to play with a test stack of a bunch of cards, and see what it takes to make new ones, order them automatically or manually per some criteria, delete cards, etc.

You can also extract the data from certain cards, and present that as a "report". But the idea is the same.

Craig

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”