Browser Widget with MP4 and WebM Videos!!

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Bobyrickson

Browser Widget with MP4 and WebM Videos!!

Post by Bobyrickson » Thu May 09, 2019 12:28 pm

Mac OS Sierra does not like a LC app I wrote that uses revBrowserCEF (Chrome 39) to play WebM videos. Videos are very slow to load on older Macs (15-30 seconds, compared to under 1 second before) and slowish on newer Macs. Still works great on Windows and any Mac with MacOS before Sierra. Not sure what happened to Sierra, as Chrome 39 is unchanged. There was a Chrome crashing issue fixed with Sierra 10.12.2, to further point the finger at Sierra.

We have a widely distributed cross-platform LC aUC browser[/color SHAREitAppvn
pp in the field that no longer works or works well enough on Mac’s running Sierra, so need a fix ASAP.

The new Browser Widget uses Chrome 47 for Windows (still a very old version) and uses Safari for Mac. Therefore, two video formats are necessary to play videos with an LC app, WebM for Windows and MP4 for Mac. But we don't have room for both video formats, as we have a lot of videos.

Is there a way to switch out Chrome 47 in LC for, say, Chrome 48 or newer? Chrome 47 appears to be just 1 version shy of supporting MP4 video playback on Windows. That would solve everything for LC cross-platform video playback. Only WebM videos would be needed.

Or, is there a way to make the Browser Widget use the Windows resources, like WMP or Edge, same as the Mac side does? Windows has supported MP4 videos since 2009 and the Chrome 48 will not play them. Only MP4 videos would be needed.

Or, is there a way to make Browser Widget use Chrome 48 instead of Safari? The newer version might play videos better than Chrome 39 on Sierra and the Widget sure beats the clunky revBrowserCEF implementation. Only WebM videos would be needed.

LiveCode_Panos
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Re: Browser Widget with MP4 and WebM Videos!!

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Fri May 10, 2019 8:44 am

This post looks suspicious. It has exactly the same text as this bug report:

https://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=19612

but also has some suspicious links.

Regards,
Panos
--

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Fri May 10, 2019 11:18 am

Yes, I know, and I have an eye on this!
I you happen to catch a spam posting before I do, this is only because of the different timezones we live in! :-D

I send a mail to Heather and want to let her see this posting before I delete it.
Users still can obviously a working link in their very first posting, but definitvely shouldn't!

LiveCode_Panos
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Fri May 10, 2019 12:01 pm

I you happen to catch a spam posting before I do, this is only because of the different timezones we live in! :-D
hehe I am pretty sure about it :)

We all appreciate your presence here :)

Cheers,
Panos
--

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Fri May 10, 2019 12:27 pm

Having a lot of time is one of the very rare benefits of being unemployed for a long time.
Well, the only one, probably.

bogs

Post by bogs » Fri May 10, 2019 12:33 pm

Klaus wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 12:27 pm
Well, the only one, probably.
Well, that and every day isn't the same thing, unless you want it that way.

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Fri May 10, 2019 12:37 pm

Info:
I deleted the LINKS in the initial posting.
bogs wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 12:33 pm
...that and every day isn't the same thing...
Sorry, don't understand?

bogs

Post by bogs » Fri May 10, 2019 1:02 pm

Klaus wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 12:37 pm
bogs wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 12:33 pm
...that and every day isn't the same thing...
Sorry, don't understand?
Benefits of being unemployed for a long period of time, you said that having a lot of time available was probably the only benefit, but during my current situation, I find that unlike when I am employed, having variety in my daily activity is a benefit as well.

All the jobs I've held have to some extent had varying degrees of same-ness to the day. Even when coding, although there is a lot less in that than say, production working, and of course in coding you can automate the most tedious parts of repetition away :D

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Fri May 10, 2019 1:09 pm

AHA! :D
Yes true, thanks for the clarification.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”