screen recorder

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

rmuzzini
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

screen recorder

Post by rmuzzini » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:12 pm

hi all.
I did a bit of research and I found nothing about. but i try to ask anyhow:
so there is NO way, absolutely NO way, to make a LC app able to record the screen? specifically running on iOS OR desktop (windows or MacOs)? am i right?
nothing? any hidden external lib, hidden magic command ...?
nothing nothing?
it was asked me to write an app like "educreations" or "showMe" (google them for more info) for a project involving 3 teachers who will have to record short lessons (audio + screen) to be posted to the project site and announced via twitter. the site&twitter part is ready. now i must find a way to give teachers such a tool…

nothing by LC?
:-/

tia
re.mu.

bogs

Re: screen recorder

Post by bogs » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:31 pm

I think there are ways, although I'm far from conversant in all of them. The most basic way would be to create a recorder yourself, for instance, using commands like "Import snapshot", which creates an image of a portion of the screen, portion of a stack or a specific object.

You could import a string of snapshots, then out put them to a suitable format (.gif for example).

I know there is a ready made command for recording from a camera (revVideoRecord I think), but I don't think that would cover what your trying for if I understand the question correctly.

Lastly, there are many already existing screen recorders out there, if you don't want to roll your own. You can probably find one that works with CLI commands, and is free/open source, where you can send the commands from Lc and read in the out put of the program, cutting down at least the hardest parts of doing it yourself.

jmburnod

Post by jmburnod » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:30 pm

Hi,
For ios you may see this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4KVYR-njeQ
For OS X i use quicktime menu file -> new screen record
Best regards
Jean-Marc
https://alternatic.ch

rmuzzini

Post by rmuzzini » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:44 pm

bogs wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:31 pm
Lastly, there are many already existing screen recorders out there, if you don't want to roll your own. You can probably find one that works with CLI commands, and is free/open source, where you can send the commands from Lc and read in the out put of the program, cutting down at least the hardest parts of doing it yourself.
thank you for your reply, bogs.
i know there are excellent screen recorders ready to use (at least a couple, the ones i mentioned in the prev post).
but what i am (was…) trying to make should be an all-in-one app managing all the process described above (therefore a custom app, necessarely), to give teachers a powerful yet simply-to-use tool to publish their lessons. i.e.: run the app, tap on "record", speak and draw at your convenience, stop the recording when finished, write a title, tap on "post" ---> the app generates the movie and - by using custom php services for example - uploads it to my server, writes the post to the db, run the cron to announce it via twitter. as i said, the part i miss is "creates the movie".

i'll probably use one of existing services, doing the upload manually from service repository to my server…

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:05 pm

rmuzzini wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:44 pm
...but what i am (was…) trying to make should be an all-in-one app managing all the process described above (therefore a custom app, necessarely), to give teachers a powerful yet simply-to-use tool to publish their lessons. i.e.: run the app, tap on "record", speak and draw at your convenience, stop the recording when finished, write a title, tap on "post"...
Then what I first suggested would be the only way I know of, importing snapshots of the desktop, in a sequential order at a time span equal to the framerate your trying for, along with the "Record sound" (or its current alternative for 8.x and up), then turning out the images into a sequential file, either integrating the sound file with it or, alternately, playing it alongside the processed sequential image file.

Or what you said here -
rmuzzini wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:44 pm
i'll probably use one of existing services, doing the upload manually from service repository to my server…
:D

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”