JSON Library Not Included in Standalone

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

icouto
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

JSON Library Not Included in Standalone

Post by icouto » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:26 am

I'm trying to save a stack as a standalone, and it uses the JSONToArray() function.

In the IDE, everything works just fine. I then set the "Standalone Application Settings", and left the default to automatically "search for required inclusions when saving the standalone application". I then saved the stack as a standalone, and it didn't work. Took me about an hour to figure out that what was failing was the 'JSONToArray()' function call.

I changed the 'Standalone Application Settings' to manually "select inclusions for the standalone application". Then, in the 'Inclusions' tab I selected 'JSON Library', 'mergJSON', 'XML', 'SSL & Encryption', 'Table' and a whole lot of other stuff that may or may not be involved - how am I supposed to know?... Then, saved the standalone, and now it works. So, it seems that the JSON Library/mergJSON (and whatever other dependency is required) was not being included when the builder was selecting the inclusions automatically.

Is this a bug? There doesn't seem to be anything in the manual about having to manually include libraries - not even in the JSONToArray entry...

bogs

Re: JSON Library Not Included in Standalone

Post by bogs » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:35 am

icouto wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:26 am
Is this a bug?
I guess the answer to that depends on your take on how good the auto-inclusion-guesser should be :wink:

Most of the long long timers suggest manual inclusions over the auto-guesser, which tells me the auto-guesser routine isn't as robust as it could be.

The auto-guesser itself says it will "try" to pick up the appropriate libraries based on the code you've created, which doesn't seem to inspire confidence it will always get the job done.

I haven't tried a search of the bug db for this, but if you don't see a topic on it listed, it probably should be, as it may improve the auto-guesser.

icouto

Post by icouto » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:21 am

Thanks for the heads-up, @bogs! I actually found this bug already reported:

https://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=21223

bogs

Post by bogs » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:48 am

Yup, you can attach yourself to that report as well, or add a comment to it describing the situation you posted here.

The more the merrier, as they say :D

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”