Stack save problem in 9.0 - stack dissapeared - cant reload

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

gshearne

Stack save problem in 9.0 - stack dissapeared - cant reload

Post by gshearne » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:15 pm

Hi,
I just saved a stack in LiveCode 9.0. It is a stack that has been modified and saved many time. Everything looked normal. Nothing else was being done on the machine. Then the stack disappeared as the save concluded.

LC saved the stack. I can see the stack in my directory and it is a good size (not a 0 byte file). I can select it to load - but nothing loads. No errors. Nothing.

I saw a thread on use the message box to see if the stack was there. It returns false every time.

I am stuck. I would really like to have that stack because of course it had a bunch of changes in it.

Thanks
Greg

Klaus

Re: Stack save problem in 9.0 - stack dissapeared - cant reload

Post by Klaus » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:26 pm

Hi Greg,

sounds like the stack is doing something "on pre/openstack/card" which makes it close again immediately?
Try this in the msg: answer file "Where is the stack?";lock messages;go stack it

Maybe it will open now and you can inspect it.

Best

Klaus

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by dunbarx » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:20 pm

Hi.

Please do try Klaus' suggestion. Locking messages will prevent any unwanted activity from fouling things up.

But I am keen to hear what went awry, especially if you really did not change anything from one session to another.

Craig Newman

gshearne

Post by gshearne » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:53 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the ideas. Regretfully no joy. Here is what I get:

Message execution error:
Error description: Handler: error in statement
Hint: message

More info:
1. I am running on a Windows 10 system.
2. Now when I load "ANY" stack into LC and save the stack (to a new name) LC crashes.
3. The file is saved but is slightly smaller than the original.
4. When I try to reopen the saved stack I get the above error if I use the message box.
5. If I use the regular open options nothing happens

My next plan is to jump over to my MAC system. You never know. If that does not work and no one has any other ideas I will uninstall LC 9.0 and start over. It has to be in LC 9.0. Every stack I have written over the last few years did not become corrupt all at one time today ;-)
Greg

LiveCode_Panos
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:51 am

Hi Greg,

You could try removing your Prefs, as maybe they have been corrupted, and this can cause unexpected behavior.

To remove your prefs:

1. Quit LiveCode
2. Navigate to C:/Users/your_user_name/AppData/Roaming/RunRev/Preferences/ folder

You should see one or two files there:

livecode.rev --> Prefs for LiveCode versions < 7
livecode7.rev --> Prefs for LiveCode 7, 8 and 9

3. Remove those 2 files from this folder. Either trash them, or put them in a different folder. Those files will be re-generated once you start LiveCode again.

4. Open LiveCode again and try to open/save a stack

Please let us know if this fixes the problem.

Kind regards,
Panos

gshearne

Post by gshearne » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:50 pm

Panos,
Thanks for the things to try. I am afraid though that it did not fix the problem.

I did spend more time looking at everything: My findings:

1) My earlier assertion that it was not related to my stack was wrong. Once I rebooted my machine and restarted LiveCode and got everything more stable, I did a more systematic analysis and discovered it was a series of stacks of the same program giving me issues. These stacks worked last week and last month but no longer.

2) Oddly I can save one of the stacks without problems on my Mac. But the same stack when loaded and saved on the Windows box has problems.

I am must return to work. Thanks to everyone for helping.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”