FTP alternatives for file management - CLOSED

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

nicoloose

FTP alternatives for file management - CLOSED

Post by nicoloose » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:56 am

I am looking for an alternative to FTP due to security limitations. I have a desktop app where all data is stored in the cloud on a mySQL database. Users may attach documents to projects. Any documents they attach should be available to other users so these should also be stored on the same server.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what would be the best solution. I have thought about using PHP to upload the files. When the user wishes to view the file, I imagine it would need to be downloaded or possibly opened in a browser (most files are stored as PDF).

Thanks in advance
Last edited by nicoloose on Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

ClipArtGuy

Re: FTP alternatives for file management

Post by ClipArtGuy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:50 pm

You can avoid using PHP altogether if you are able to use LC server on your server.

http://lessons.livecode.com/m/4070/l/40 ... ode-server

nicoloose

Post by nicoloose » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:01 pm

Unable to use LC server as I use a shared server on Godaddy and to date no-one has come back to me on whether this is possible.

I have come across Dropbox api though and this works really nicely as I am not fussed where the documents sit. I have managed to achieve what I want to more-or-less except for previewing files. I get a message to say that the file extension is unsupported which is correct as it doesn't support PDF.

Does anyone have any experience with using this Library? Is it possible to "launch" the file in a browser say?

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:08 pm

nicoloose wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:01 pm
Unable to use LC server as I use a shared server on Godaddy and to date no-one has come back to me on whether this is possible.
That would be a question for GoDaddy tech support. Most shared hosts support running custom CGI programs via directives in a .htaccess file in the web root folder, or a subfolder if you only want the CGI invokable for a subset of files. I haven't worked with GoDaddy myself so I don't know what their policies are, but a quick note to their Support should be able to answer that.
I have come across Dropbox api though and this works really nicely as I am not fussed where the documents sit. I have managed to achieve what I want to more-or-less except for previewing files. I get a message to say that the file extension is unsupported which is correct as it doesn't support PDF.

Does anyone have any experience with using this Library? Is it possible to "launch" the file in a browser say?
On the desktop, yes. I haven't yet used the launch command on mobile, but if you run into issues you may be able to use the URL scheme of the target app to open the file you want.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

jacque

Re: FTP alternatives for file management - CLOSED

Post by jacque » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:55 pm

Dropbox recently discontinued support for launching http files, due to security concerns. Other types of files may work.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”