using UTF-16 instead of UTF-8 between Stack and Hosted DB

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

teriibi

using UTF-16 instead of UTF-8 between Stack and Hosted DB

Post by teriibi » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:03 pm

HI everyone,

Under Community Plus 9 IDE.

Does anyone has good Working experience with LC and Unicode UTF formats so as to tell me :

1)
can UTF-16 format fields in a MariaDB workfine with an LC made app..and data transfers with the UTF-8 encoding function ?

2)
Are there any improoved UTF-8 functions (some new UTF-16 version) to deal in UTF-16 encoding within an APP or between APP and the online DB data exchange ?

or is there an UTF-16 mode for the UTF-8 existing function... :?:

Thanks to everyone :mrgreen:

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: using UTF-16 instead of UTF-8 between Stack and Hosted DB

Post by Mark » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:32 pm

Sure. If the UTF16 encoded data in the MariaDB fields are correct, there is no reason why it wouldn't display correctly in LiveCode.

I don't understand why you mention data transfers separately. This may depend on your server and on the specified data transfer method, a transfer shouldn't affect the data.

I haven't tried displaying emoticons in LiveCode yet. Otherwise, extensions to UTF16 don't imply that software suddenly become incompatible with the UTF16 standard. If you have the right fonts, you can display UTF8 and UTF16 in LiveCode.

Are you aware that you can convert UTF8 to UTF16 and reverse within LiveCode?

Perhaps I could help you better if you asked more specific questions about specific cases that you expect to cause trouble.

Kind regards,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”