Complete Newbie (but 25 years experience in older stuff)

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

J&R Rovers

Re: Complete Newbie (but 25 years experience in older stuff)

Post by J&R Rovers » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:02 am

The debugger periodically just does nothing, the breakpoints are grey instead of red and nothing happens. This is in either edit or run mode. The only fix is to re-start Livecode, however bear in mind I am so new and there ma be something else I haven't worked out yet.
Cheers
John

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by dunbarx » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:54 am

This never happens with "hard" breakpoints, correct? Only the "soft" red dots?

If so this is a long standing issue.

Craig

J&R Rovers

Post by J&R Rovers » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:22 am

Hi Craig
This will take time to answer, as I said I am so new to this and until I figure whether it is to do with me not doing something in sequence like 'Saving' or 'Applying' the script properly before I run it. To be honest I have probably jumped in a bit early on his one. For instance the Script Edit window does not open multiple instances, it only opens a new script into the same window, therefore my scripts are not 'stacked' in multiple windows so I can cycle between them. Also when I switch to another object and open the script it does not prompt me to save the old one. I suspect when zipping between scripts and maybe not saving each one first may disable the debugger.
It will probably be all fine when I get used to doing things properly in LC
Cheers
John

jacque

Post by jacque » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:24 am

Each new script opens in a tab, like a web browser. Look at the top of the script editor. If you make changes it should prompt you when you try to close the tabbed window.

If you want each script in its own window, right click a tab and choose "open in new window".

There are small icons at the top right that let you access the most recent scripts again if you have too many tabs. Scripts are not closed until you close the tab, even if they aren't currently visible at the top.

Is it possible that you are working on a script but haven't compiled it yet, and then open another script, and when you go back to the first one it won't accept breakpoints because it isn't compiled yet? If you don't know about tabs it would appear that the script is newly opened in its own window.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

J&R Rovers

Post by J&R Rovers » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:56 am

Is it possible that you are working on a script but haven't compiled it yet, and then open another script, and when you go back to the first one it won't accept breakpoints because it isn't compiled yet? If you don't know about tabs it would appear that the script is newly opened in its own window.
Not only possible, but probable. I have now made it a practice to save before working on another script
Thanks for your feedback. I think more than the content, just knowing that peer support is only a click away is a great comfort
Cheers
John

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:09 pm

Saving often is the safest way, but if you don't, look at the small colored dot at the top left of the script editor. If it's red, the script hasn't been compiled. If it's green, it's compiled.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:47 pm

Open live code preferences. In the "script editor' pane there is n option that allows either new tabs or new windows.

I invariably use new tabs, but now and then I want to run two versions of a handler side by side, and the best way to do that is with adjacent windows.

Craig

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”