using groups

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

chipsm
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

using groups

Post by chipsm » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:22 pm

I am starting to use a development philosophy of using GROUPS.
I know that the use of groups is nothing new.
I like using groups because they allow for a great versatility in creating a good user experience.
The biggest problem with using groups is that your development environment can become very congested. My tact in using groups has now evolved into creating the use of what I call Resource Stacks. This is the place where I create my various groups. In some cases, I create separate cards in the Resources Stack for different groups. I then copy these various groups on to a card when I want to use them as a user interface. I then remove the groups from the card when I finish with them. I realize that there is some latency when I copy the group to the needed card but I find this to be an acceptable cost of development.
I am interested in what other users think of this approach and if this makes sense.
I do have a question: I notice that one problem that I need a solution for:
When I click on the Object Menu Icon and navigate to the Place Group option, this selection contains a lot of baggage of all of the previous groups from past usage.
How do I clear this baggage of previous groups that may no longer be needed?
Is there a way that may be preference setting to clear this option?
Clarence Martin
chipsm@themartinz.com

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: using groups

Post by richmond62 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:53 pm

When I click on the Object Menu Icon and navigate to the Place Group option
Oh, after about 15 years of using LiveCode I've never clicked on any of those icons on the Menubar except for the Message Box.

If I want to place a group I just copy-paste it across from the other stack.

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:36 pm

I think the menu shows all groups that are currently in the stackfile. It's picking up the groups from the substack.

It's possible to have an unplaced group in the stack, BTW. You can keep all the groups on the card and just place or remove them as needed. This won't change the menu list but it should avoid the copy/paste latency and is a cleaner approach.

Edit: You can place groups from the substack without copying them first. Just use the "place" command.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

chipsm

Post by chipsm » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:00 pm

Thanks Jacque.
I learned a lot of information last night at our Pasadena LiveCode User group meeting. I found out just what you said but with some other information. Using the copy function along later with the remove function removes the group visually from my card. It does not however remove the group from the stack. Subsequently, there is an accumulation of groups with the same name on or in the stack. This visually seen with the menu item "Place group". I had an accumulation of 35 of these unseen groups in my stack. I had to remove these by having them placed on my card one-by-one and then deleting them.
I looked for some function that would allow me to remove these groups all at once but I could not find any other way of doing so.
If someone knows of a way to clean the stacks of unwanted objects, please educate me. I tried looking everywhere to see if these objects could be seen and identified, even in the custom properties of the stack.
Is this something that should be requested as an Enhancement?
I have since changed my code to "Place" and then "Delete" my groups as needed.
Clarence Martin
chipsm@themartinz.com

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”