A Stansalone in LiveCode 8

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

lohill

A Stansalone in LiveCode 8

Post by lohill » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:44 am

I have never been able to make a standalone application in LiveCode 8 without getting a series of errors messages that I am not sure how to respond to. Just guessing at responses i have sometimes been able to produce a standalone that worked. This is the case with more than one application which compile in version 7.1.3 without any messages. I finally thought to give it another try with version 8.1.4 when it came out recently. With 8.1.4 on an application that compiles in 7.1.3 this time I got just a single message which I have tried to attach. It is not nearly as messy but when I press OK the compilation just stops.

The message is trying to tell me something but I have no idea what. Is there something that I can do to get past this point? Does any one else have this problem.

Thanks,
Larry
Attachments
Standalone in 8.4.tiff
Error message when compiling in 8.1.4

lohill

Re: A Stansalone in LiveCode 8

Post by lohill » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:01 am

It appears that no one uses LiveCode 8 to create standalone applications. This message has now been read by 64 people and not a single response to my question asking if anyone else had had this problem. Is there any reason to even bother looking at version 9?

Larry

Randy Hengst
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Randy Hengst » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:35 am

Larry,

I’ve made many iOS standalones using 8.x … but not 8.1.4. I’m still using 8.1.3.

I cannot recall ever seeing that error message.

I don’t know what “RecursiveStackFileList” means… but, I know what a recursion problem is, as I’m sure you do. The catch is, I have no real idea of what you might have in your script that is triggering the recursion. What are the things you’ve tried? Have you begun a new stack in 8.1.4 and ended up with the same problem? Have you tried deleting the preferences file?

I’m afraid I’m not much help… other than yes, 8.1.3 will build iOS standalones. I’ve not yet worked with LC9.

randy

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:40 am

I'm on a phone and the TIFF line is not viewable. Can you offer any description of the problem you experienced building a standalone?

As far as v9, it is the next version. As with most software, once the new version is released no more work will be going into the old version. For this reason I find it very valuable to be developing as much as practical in the most recent test build.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

AndyP

Post by AndyP » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:31 am

Hi Larry,

I just tried a standalone build with a very simple stack on 8.14 Community Windows 10 and.... nothing, no build, no error message nothing.

Tried the same stack on 9.0 dp7 and all worked as expected.

It looks like a major bug...surprised no one has noticed this before.

I have submitted this as a bug

http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=19959
Andy Piddock
https://livecode1001.blogspot.com Built with LiveCode
https://github.com/AndyPiddock/TinyIDE Mini IDE alternative
https://github.com/AndyPiddock/Seth Editor color theming
http://livecodeshare.runrev.com/stack/897/ LiveCode-Multi-Search

LiveCode_Panos
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:27 am

Hi all,

I can successfully create standalones in LC 8.1.4, tested on various platforms.

@Larry It might be the case that something specific in your stack exposes this bug. Could you please attach it in Andy's bug report? If the stack is confidential you can email it directly to us (panos.merakos@livecode.com).

Does your stack by any chance reference other stacks in the Stack Files section? I vaguely recall an issue in a previous LC version that was related to stack files and included a similar(?) error msg when building a standalone.

Best,
Panos
--

lohill

Post by lohill » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:12 pm

Thanks Panos,

I did send you my stack files. And further examination leads me to believe the error is related to the 'stack files' section of the standalone settings as you suggest. In version 7 my stack files show up as 'Divvy Main.livecode' and 'Divvy.livecode'. In version 8 the stack files consist of one item 'staqck'. Error messages show up while trying to make changes there.

Regards,
Larry

LiveCode_Panos
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:33 pm

Hi Larry,

I have received the stacks, thanks. The issue seems to be introduced in LiveCode 8.1.0. I will submit a fix tomorrow.

If you want to apply the fix locally (in LiveCode 8.1.4 or above) follow these steps:

1. Type in the msg box: edit the script of stack revSBLibrary at 915

2. Find the following block (should be at line ~915) and add the lines I have marked:

Code: Select all

repeat for each key tStack in tStackFiles
      if there is not a stack tStackFiles[tStack] then put tFileName before tStackFiles[tStack]
      if there is a stack tStackFiles[tStack] then
         if the effective fileName of stack  tStackFiles[tStack] is not among the lines of xStackFiles then //<------ ADD THIS LINE
            appendToStringList the effective fileName of stack tStackFiles[tStack], xStackFiles
            __RecursiveStackFileList tStack, xStackFiles
         end if  // <-------------------- ADD THIS LINE
      end if
   end repeat
3. Click Apply
4. Now create a standalone --> The error is gone
5. Save the changes. Note that you need to change the permissions in the LC app bundle first, since currently it is read-only.

Alternatively, you can wait for the release of LC 8.1.6 RC-1, which will contain the fix.

Thanks for reporting this issue.

Best regards,
Panos
--

LiveCode_Panos
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:46 pm

Hi Larry,

I have filed this report: http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=19965 to track the issue.

BugZilla does not allow me to put your @gmail address in the bug report, since this email address does not exist in BugZilla database.

Best,
Panos
--

lohill

Post by lohill » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:58 pm

Panos,
I just tried to make a standalone with 9.0.0 (dp 7) and was not successful. It looks like once you make the fix in 8 the same thing will apply in 9.
Thanks for all your efforts. You have a really hard job considering all the releases.

Regards,
Larry

LiveCode_Panos
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:36 am

Hi Larry,

The previous workaround if applied *locally* (i.e. in your machine) to e.g. LC 8.1.4, it will work only for this particular version, since it is equivalent to modifying the file:

/Applications/LiveCode Community 8.1.4.app/Contents/Tools/Toolset/libraries/revsblibrary.livecodescript

with a text editor and saving the changes.

You need to do the same *locally* with LC 9.0 DP7 if you want the fix to work in this version too.

But when we release 8.1.6 RC-1 with the fix, then every version released *after* 8.1.6 RC-1 (i.e. 8.1.6 RC02, 9.0 DP-8 etc) will contain the fix.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Panos
--

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”