Build times

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

bogs

Re: Build times

Post by bogs » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:49 am

Good to know as I was missing some of that info Craig :idea:

mvillion
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by mvillion » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:19 pm

Note to self.

To get BEST build times. Log out and log back in again.

Build times are the tiny.

It does not seem to matter how many apps are running as long as the sessinon is 'fresh'.
It takes under a minutes to log out and log back in again and buidl times are then 2 minutes rather than the 15 - 20 minutes.

Strange!!

bogs

Post by bogs » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:31 pm

Interesting to know, mvillion.

Curious, did you ever go look at the "Activity Monitor" to see what was taking up resources on the system during a build ? I'd be interested in finding out what goes on on the system when you don't log out, which would be the same as refreshing the system (bringing everything to 0, essentially).

mvillion

Post by mvillion » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:00 pm

Yes. Activity monitor was basically taking up 0 of everything in both cases.
I can only assume that LC is leaving some 'stuff' around and a log out sorts it out.

I do know and whilst I am curious I have a workable solution and the truth be told, it is always good to clear down anything when you are about to do a build anyway. 8-)

bogs

Post by bogs » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:22 pm

Interesting that it showed 0, there should be some indication that memory is allotted and to what, etc., however, having a work-around is also valuable. Thank you for the information :)

mvillion

Post by mvillion » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:10 pm

Ok, ok. It is not zero.- but - you - know - what - mean.

There is nothing noteworthy in activity monitor in CPU or memory or disc etc.

bogs

Post by bogs » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:30 am

O - I see what you mean now :oops: my bad for being so danged literal :roll:

mvillion

Post by mvillion » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:21 am

LOL.

I think we are as bad as each other. :D
I was feeling pedantic. LOL

mvillion

Post by mvillion » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:05 pm

Hi All again.

I have a completely repeatable situation here.
If I use my computer for a period of time even if it is just coding, when I build it takes a long time , even if I have closed every thing off including Livecode and relaunched Livecode as 'clean'.

If I log out and log in again and just build, the build time goes from 15 minutes down to 20 seconds.

There are no other visible processes that I can see or difference in memory or CPU or anything else.
I just know the result.

Solution is simple. Log out and log in takes under a minute and the build then takes seconds.
I do not understand what or why. I just know what I am seeing.

jacque

Post by jacque » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:30 pm

Did you ever turn off "search for inclusions"? I suspect that's where the delay is coming from.

I never use that feature, and have never had any stack take longer than a few seconds to a minute to build, even those with dozens of stacks and 100+ megs in size take under a minute.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:35 pm

My Devawriter, which has an awful lot of code in it, with "search for inclusions" turned off,
when set to build Windows, Macintosh and both 32-bit and 63-bit Linux standalones
generally takes about 3 minutes.

Building a standalone for a single target OS it takes about 45 seconds.

All this on a 2006 Polycarbonate Intel iMac running 10.7.8.

Fast enough for me.

Certainly never grinds to a halt.

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:38 pm

jacque wrote:Did you ever turn off "search for inclusions"? I suspect that's where the delay is coming from.

I never use that feature, and have never had any stack take longer than a few seconds to a minute to build, even those with dozens of stacks and 100+ megs in size take under a minute.
Although I've never suffered that problem myself, probably due to the tiny stacks with singles of cards and minimal controls and code, I am curious about the inclusions thing. I read the user guide, but still am not sure exactly what needs to be in it.

I am guessing that you could literally uncheck everything here?
Then only add back what you think you'd need? Like, if your program isn't going to need to connect to the internet, you could ditch the internet library? If your not going to print, you don't need it? Same for the cursors, don't the os's cursors just take over at that point?

Also, if you let it search for inclusions, does it automatically strip out what you don't need? Or does it include the ones selected by default any way, whether you need em or not? And is there any way to tell what it searched for and included?

Feel free to go in-depth in your answer :)

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:04 pm

bogs wrote:I am guessing that you could literally uncheck everything here?
Then only add back what you think you'd need? Like, if your program isn't going to need to connect to the internet, you could ditch the internet library? If your not going to print, you don't need it? Same for the cursors, don't the os's cursors just take over at that point?
Yes, that's right, though you're using an older version of LC. The inclusions are now in their own separate pane and there are many more now. In any case, just choose the ones your software uses.
Also, if you let it search for inclusions, does it automatically strip out what you don't need? Or does it include the ones selected by default any way, whether you need em or not? And is there any way to tell what it searched for and included?
The search examines every script in all stacks that are incuded in the build, looking for keywords that indicate the use of any known externals. The standalone will include only those that the search identifies. It can't always find everything so I don't take chances and I manually select inclusions instead.

The search is what takes all the time. If there are many long scripts and many stacks, it can take quite a while.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

bogs

Post by bogs » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:27 am

Good to know, up till now I've just been letting it go since at this stage, I may not have identified everything I might need. More learning I can definitely use though, thank you for the insight :)

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”