unboundedHScroll when the scrollbar is not visible

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

trevix

unboundedHScroll when the scrollbar is not visible

Post by trevix » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:58 pm

Reading the dictionary:
When the unboundedHScroll property of a group is set to true and the hScrollbar is not visible, it is possible to set the hScroll property of the group to values outside that of the size of the content (both positive and negative).
So while:
unboundedHScroll= true
ScrollBar visible = false
= Hscroll values can be different then size of the content

I was assuming that:
unboundedHScroll= false
ScrollBar visible = false
= Hscroll values can not be different then size of the content

What am I missing? Since I am scrolling trough script, how is it possible to resize the group and keep the scrolling within range? I could lock the screen, show the scrollbar, resize my things, hide the scrollbar. But it seems the wrong thing to do...
Thanks
Trevix
Trevix
OSX 14.3.1 xCode 15 LC 10 DP7 iOS 15> Android 7>

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: unboundedHScroll when the scrollbar is not visible

Post by dunbarx » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:06 pm

Hi.

I have never used this. But I made a group and tried some of the combinations.

If the unboundedHScroll is "false", then with no scrollbar showing, if I set the scroll of the group to a trillion or so from msg, the content is visible, that scroll set to the max it would be if the scrollBar was there and changed by hand. If "true", then the content "disappears", being scrolled, I assume, somewhere near Guam.

This is on LC 6.7.9 on a Mac 10.9. Where are you?

Craig Newman

trevix

Post by trevix » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:17 pm

I use LC8.1.2 on OS X10.11.6

My use is slightly different:
I scroll the group (without scrollbars) using a script (on mouseMove).
I also resize the content of the group with a script and I would expect the scroll values to be fixed by the engine if used with the unboundedHScroll set to false, but this is not the case.
If I understand it, changing the size of the content, the engine fix the scroll values only if the scrollbars are visible.
I can confirm that at the end of a "lock the screen, show the scrollbars, do my resize, hide the scrollbars" the values of scroll are correct. But they are not if I don't show the scrollbars at the beginning of the resizing script.

I think the "unboundedHScroll=false, scrollbar=hidden" behavior is inconsistent. May be i should file a bug report. What do you think?
Regards
Trevix
Trevix

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:09 pm

I see it this way:

1- If the scrollbar is not visible, then that overarching "limiting" element of a scrolling group is missing, and all bets as to that scrollbars range are off.

2-The "unbounded(V/H)scroll" does just what it says. If "true", the scroll range is unbounded, but NOT if the all-powerful scrollbar itself is present, which overRides that property.

I see the effect to be just as the dictionary says, and it seems logical. So I am not sure I am getting your issue fully. Can you pick apart the above for me?

Craig

trevix

Post by trevix » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:32 am

See the attached stack. Explanations inside the stack

Trevix
Attachments
TestScroll.livecode.zip
(2.81 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
Trevix

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”