Looking for new app building program but need some answers

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, kevinmiller, robinmiller

magice

Looking for new app building program but need some answers

Post by magice » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:17 am

I currently work in C++, Java, And visual basic. I am looking for an "easier" platform in which to work. In my search I found the revolution website, but there are many questions that site leaves unanswered.

1. Does this program output stand alone programs (like exe files) or must they be run within the revolution application?

2. Is there a complete reference manual for the scripting syntax anywhere online?

3. When they describe the created applications as "cross platform" Do they mean an app created in revolution for linux will work in windows or must you create a windows application on a windows machine and a linux application on a linux machine?

more questions to come depending on the answers to the above questions.

Thank you

Obleo

Post by Obleo » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:08 am

Hello magice,

1. Does this program output stand alone programs (like exe files) or must they be run within the revolution application?
The Revolution Studio and Enterprise Products create an .exe or standalone application
2. Is there a complete reference manual for the scripting syntax anywhere online?
The scripting syntax reference is built in to the Revolution IDE. You can download a 30 day demo. I am not sure I ever seen an online version. (but that does not mean there may not be one)
3. When they describe the created applications as "cross platform" Do they mean an app created in revolution for linux will work in windows or must you create a windows application on a windows machine and a linux application on a linux machine?
You can use Revolution on Windows to develop and deploy to for mac, windows and linux. Or use Mac to develop and deploy to Windows, mac and linux. And use on Linux deploy again to all 3 platforms. So no mater what platform you develop on it will still deploy to all 3 platforms also.

Basicly you can develop on one platform and deploy to all.

Hope that helps.

magice

Post by magice » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:13 am

Thank you very much...I think this might be exactly what I am looking for. Hopefully you will be seeing me ask many more questions in the future.

AndyP

Post by AndyP » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:06 pm

Hi Magice,

I moved from Delphi (PASCAL) a while back and at the time the cross platform benefits of Revolution were not important to me as all of my apps are used in-house on Windows only systems. Since then two Macs have been purchased and WOW! no need to rewite the apps, just choose Mac as a deployment option, three apps were made as Mac and all ran first time with no problems.

I'm still learning Revolution but have allways found a solution to a problem either within the docs or in the forums which are very active and friendly.

The speed of development in Revolution over Delphi is substantial, as an example I recently potred a telephone logging system which originally took 18Hrs for Delphi and completed this in Revolution in 5Hrs, less than one working day...outsatnding.

There are new features on the way, at the end of the year we should be able to deploy an app built in Revolution to the web, using a web plugin, so one app which will work on Windows, Mac, linux and the web, that's a real Revolution!

As you may be able to tell I'm a BIG fan of Revolution, sure it's not perfect..yet, but it's easy to learn and produces great apps in very little time.

Just my Pennies worth.
Andy Piddock

http://2108.co.uk/tinyide/ - Mini LC IDE alternative

http://2108.co.uk/script-editor-themer/ - Script Editor colour theming

http://livecodeshare.runrev.com/stack/897/LiveCode-Multi-Search - Search across 8 LC resources

gyroscope
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by gyroscope » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:01 pm

Hi Magice, like Andy (and every other Revver, I guess) I'm a great fan of RR. Personally, before discovering RR, my previous progging experience wouldn't add up to much of a molehill, but I still found (and finding) the relative simplicity of the Rev language (despite my ongoing newbie headscratchers but that's just me!) a great benefit. And realising that relative simplicity doesen't mean lack of power.

A similar programming environment to RR Is RealBasic, a very good prog but I personally was confused by certain things (not that difficult!) which were as clear as day within Revolution. I guess its the flavour of one's mind, or something.

Anyhow, I thought I'd just clarify the standalone executables situation with regards to the different levels of Rev products, as Obleo pointed out:

• Revolution Media: can only produce stacks, run as an app by the Revolution Player (or third-party similar)

• Revolution Studio: can produce complete standalone apps for Mac, PC and Linux but the RR software is purchased for your own working environment only.

• Revolution Enterprise: can produce complete standalone apps for Mac, PC and Linux and, amongst other benefits over the Studio version, Revolution Enterprise is completely cross-platform.

I'm sure you realise that there's a 30 day free trial for Studio (and Enterprise, I think) so that would help you make a decision as to whether or not to jump into our swimming pool!

:)
-------------------------------
http://davidgriffinauthor.co.uk
http://davidgjourney.blogspot.com/

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”