LC versions

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

dsimpson
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: LC versions

Post by dsimpson » Fri May 06, 2016 7:09 pm

deadparrotsoftware wrote: I just don't get the feeling that building their user base, or paying attention to any discord among the users, is the focus of the powers that be at LC. It appears to be more about the money.
We are investigating the possibility of developing externals ourselves, and/or a kickstart to do that rather than fork over money for business lic, just on general principles. :-)

Sid B.
VP, Dead Parrot Software Inc.
I would be interested to hear about your results in getting a quote for having this feature added. Especially having it added using LiveCode Builder - which should be much more economical compared to having to write the code in C. I haven't done any development yet with LCB, so I am looking forward to the in-depth sessions at the conference showing how to build these types of features with LCB.

My company has recently paid LiveCode Ltd. to add/enhance 2 features in LiveCode 8. It costs some money, but the benefits to the community and to my business have been tremendously beneficial.

I funded the new rawClipboardData feature and enhancements to the Segmented widget. Not only has my company benefited by these enhancements, but since these enhancements have been made available across all platforms and versions, the whole community benefits also. The new clipboard functionality solves a need of mine which I had previously paid C developers thousands of dollars to write and update for me over the course of about 7 years. Now that it is built into the base LiveCode product, I no longer have issues with pathname issues experienced by my users thru the years.

I am hoping that we see many more community supported features in the future. There are just too many feature requests for one single company to fund and develop everything. Think of the thousands of PHP modules and frameworks which exist. Zend Inc. didn't create all of those, they we developed by outside developers who developed the feature and made it available to the community.
David Simpson
www.fmpromigrator.com

deadparrotsoftware

Post by deadparrotsoftware » Fri May 06, 2016 8:53 pm

We are days into this thread, and the PDF read and rendering capability is actually there, but no one else knew? (we never found it - and I mean WITHOUT requiring use of the browser))

BUT, that is NOT the crux of the issue we have - the crux is this new trend towards making features (what we could consider fundamental, not "seldom used" features) that ONLY the business license buyers can have - not even the paying Indy users have access! And when LC acquires an external like that, no one can even purchase the external if they need/want it.

The old "if you earn more than X amount you need to pay more" policy (and you can afford it by then) - and LC capabilities are the same, you just some extra services, maybe some extra "special" platforms like Pi - we liked. No issues. And frankly, that simplies the cost, time and effort of developing LC itself.

This new policy, with different licenses with different features, we hate. I believe the former - especially if open source has the same features, externals, etc just has no "commercial" capabilities - can attract and grow a user base. I think the latter approach, is full of issues and will do the opposite - plus require maintaining multiple versions.

The first time open community users AND Indy users have to do a lot of extra programming to accomplish a useful, frequently desired task, when the Business users have a simple widget/external/whatever that already "does that," it will be the beginning of the end for LC growth. I have not checked the link Richard provided yet, so I don't know if "PDF" is that feature or not. But the policy trend, regardless, is not encouraging.

Sid B.
http://AppBuzzinga.com - App Making Software, Source Code, & Information
Win, MAC, Android, Apple, WordPress

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Fri May 06, 2016 10:53 pm

deadparrotsoftware wrote:We are days into this thread, and the PDF read and rendering capability is actually there, but no one else knew? (we never found it - and I mean WITHOUT requiring use of the browser))
It's not a separate browser application, it's a LiveCode control. Think of it as a rich renderer object, one that renders both HTML and PDF.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Pistris

Post by Pistris » Thu May 12, 2016 8:32 pm

Deadparrotsfotware

100% agree with you
Its not how frequent we are going to use a feature of if we are gonna use at all
is the way thing are shaping.

today i got another email to fund another campaign for more features, really?

edd.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Thu May 12, 2016 8:45 pm

Pistris wrote:today i got another email to fund another campaign for more features, really?
More than 3/4 of LiveCode's audience are using the free open source Community Edition. It's not uncommon for open source project to fund development through crowdfunding. And of course participation in any crowdfunding campaign, whether LiveCode or any other software project, is purely optional.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”