Page 1 of 1

Copy Card Unexpected Results

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:58 pm
by lgoin
Hi!
I had an unexpected result when copying a card from one stack to another. I have developed a very complex card (lots of fields, groups, some things hidden etc.) in a stack. I copied this card to my main project stack using "copy this card to stack XXX". When I opened the copied card in the main stack the text in the fields was messed up. It appears that lines of text from one field got randomly placed into other fields including fields that were supposed to be empty. I was able to reset the text and everything is working ok again, but now I don't trust the "copy card" procedure.

Just curious to know if anyone else had similar problems? Or, is there a more reliable way to copy a card from one stack to another? (I'm using LC 7.0.1 OS 10.9.5)

Thanks for your thoughts!
Laura

Re: Copy Card Unexpected Results

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:03 pm
by dunbarx
Hi.

I have never seen any issue with this. Does it still happen with the latest stable release of v7?

Craig Newman

Re: Copy Card Unexpected Results

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:25 pm
by lgoin
Thanks Craig...

I am be switching to 7.1.1 next week (didn't want to introduce new variables during this stage of my development). I'll retest then and update this post.

Thanks!!
Laura

Re: Copy Card Unexpected Results

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:16 pm
by [-hh]
Hi Laura and Craig,

copying cards between stacks of different sizes was often connected with problems for me. Do you work with equal stack sizes? Especially copying to a stack that is only slightly smaller (and locked) in size may cause visual
"mixing text"-scenes when rects of transparent fields have to be changed by LC.

Meanwhile I use a method that is better controllable:
Copying in the Application browser small clusters of objects, then paste (not there but go to the target stack and paste).
I see problems with stack geometry as a minor bug: One can see the nasty problems to solve for such operations if one tries to do the necessary geometry changes by oneself.

Hermann
p.s. The 7.0 versions had a lot of improvements on their way to 7.1.!!

Re: Copy Card Unexpected Results

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:17 pm
by dunbarx
Herman.

I have never seen a problem with copying a card to a stack that has a different size. The content is simply either off-screen or occupies a small region of a large card.

Craig

Re: Copy Card Unexpected Results

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:08 pm
by FourthWorld
Laura, you may want to double-check the sharedText property of the field, and perhaps also the backgroundBehavior property of the group they'e in if they're part of a group.

Re: Copy Card Unexpected Results

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:33 pm
by [-hh]
Craig,

interesting. Which messages are sent when pasting a card? (Probably Richard thought also of this when speaking of background groups?).
If you define objects relative to the bounds of a resizable stack (or use the geometry manager for that) at what point is this updated when pasting a card? From my tests I can't say, it's varying with all these group/background types that jacque recently described (I can't remember where). I had several times with nested structures a wonderful cluster of objects over the loc of the card, the layers still correct.

I don't believe that Laura did anything "wrong" (except she could next time first paste into a new stack to see what may happen).

It's just a dark thought: "Copy card" isn't any more in the "Object" menu, "Delete card" is still there ...
It's just your aura that you never had problems with that, the engine is afraid of your severe punishment ;-)

Hermann

Re: Copy Card Unexpected Results

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:06 pm
by lgoin
Thanks for the interesting discussion and helpful troubleshooting ideas! With your help I think I have found the culprit... a datagrid field!

I checked stack sizes (they were the same), shared text properties, scripts that might be activated in the pasting process etc. and these made no difference. However, Richard's thought on background scripts made me dig a little deeper. Sure enough, I believe the issue was caused by a group that contained a datagrid field that I was using to create a scroller. When I deleted the datagrid group and copied the card the text problem did not happen. I tried copying the datagrid substack before and after the pasting the card, but that didn't make a difference.

Thanks again!
Laura