Licensing & Updates Questions

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

pelkofg053

Licensing & Updates Questions

Post by pelkofg053 » Wed May 17, 2006 9:29 pm

Hello:

I would like to confirm my understanding of the Revolution Studio licensing agreement (available at http://www.runrev.com/section/terms.php - it's apparently not bundled with the demo version that I'm using).

The terms seem to indicate that the software is licensed per user, per operating system/platform.

Thus, a single Revolution Studio license key can legally be used to install the software on both a home computer and a laptop, correct? Or do I need 2 license keys in this situation?

Also, can someone confirm what constitutes a 'version' as the term applies to the yearly update package(s)?

For example, if I purchase version 2.7.1 today, and a minor version (let's say 2.7.2) comes out in two weeks, can I download and install it without having purchased an update pack?

Thanks,

George

Obleo

Re: Licensing & Updates Questions

Post by Obleo » Wed May 17, 2006 9:46 pm

pelkofg053 wrote:Hello:

The terms seem to indicate that the software is licensed per user, per operating system/platform.

Thus, a single Revolution Studio license key can legally be used to install the software on both a home computer and a laptop, correct? Or do I need 2 license keys in this situation?
George
In all software I know of a license is for one seat per CPU legally. Meaning in legal words you need two seats for use on two cpu's.

pelkofg053

Post by pelkofg053 » Thu May 18, 2006 3:50 pm

Obleo:

Yes, in my experience most license agreements allow one copy per CPU; however, this is usually clearly stated in the license agreement.

If my reading of the Revolution License Agreement is correct, it stipulates that the program is licensed to a single user or business entity, for use on a single operating system/platform.

There is no mention of the number of seats, CPUs, simultaneous users, archive/backup copies, and/or other restrictions typically found in software license agreements.

That said, it's not my intention to circumvent the agreement and/or deny Runtime any due revenue. I feel that the initial purchase price of the software is very reasonable, and I found the Revolution agreement to be quite refreshing compared to most of the others that I've seen.

George

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”