Uniqueness of the long ID

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, robinmiller, kevinmiller

[-hh]
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Uniqueness of the long ID

Post by [-hh] » Sat May 03, 2014 2:46 pm

Last edited by [-hh] on Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shiftLock happens

BvG

Re: Uniqueness of the long ID

Post by BvG » Mon May 05, 2014 1:56 pm

The long id is unique to the program. However, the long id can be finicky, because it sometimes includes the full path and filename of the stack. So if you rename the stack file, that might confuse stuff. Furthermore the all id's of all owners are included, so if you move an object out of, or into a group, the long id of that control changes.

I suggest to read the dictionary entry of the ID property, it explains it pretty well.

PS: Thanks for mentioning my stuff :)
Various teststacks and stuff:
http://bjoernke.com

Chat with other RunRev developers:
chat.freenode.net:6666 #livecode

[-hh]

Post by [-hh] » Mon May 05, 2014 6:49 pm

Last edited by [-hh] on Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shiftLock happens

BvG

Post by BvG » Wed May 07, 2014 11:07 pm

[-hh] wrote:What means "unique to program"? The version or the saving modus ('legacy version')? The critical value to determine the next ID is probably saved with stack, isn't it? Or where is it stored?
The program means the currently running engine. So if you double click on version 6.6.1 of the LC-IDE that's one program. Then you open your version of the 6.5.2 IDE, that's another program. you can open the same stack in both IDE's, with the same long id within each of them.

The next ID? no Idea what you mean, but it's based on the stack id, as the id dictionary entry says: "A stack's ID is equal to the ID that will be assigned to the next object created within that stack, so the stack ID is subject to change."

I don't know about your socket problems, sounds to me like your code is faulty somehow? I also suggest to make one separate threat on the forum for each question.
Various teststacks and stuff:
http://bjoernke.com

Chat with other RunRev developers:
chat.freenode.net:6666 #livecode

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”