Is there anything special needed for a bluetooth keyboard

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

FrankR

Is there anything special needed for a bluetooth keyboard

Post by FrankR » Sat May 05, 2012 7:28 pm

Is there anything special I will need to do to collect input from a bluetooth-attached keyboard?

I have been developing software for 28 years, and I have never had any situation where I had
to *select the keyboard*.

I'm working on a first LiveCode app with a new team. The team is designing custom apps and
keyboard hardware. The engineer is Insisting I research if I will have a way to select the
bluetooth keyboard from a LiveCode app. Huh?

If their design is done properly, the keyboard should just be usable. Just like plugging
in any other device on a Windows PC.

What am I missing?

monte
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Is there anything special needed for a bluetooth keyboar

Post by monte » Sun May 06, 2012 7:17 am

Hi Frank

Not sure of your exact situation but if your talking about a iOS and an MFi hardware accessory then you might be interested in my external accessory framework external. See http://mergext.com for info.

Cheers

Monte
LiveCode User Group on Facebook : http://FaceBook.com/groups/LiveCodeUsers/

jacque

Post by jacque » Sun May 06, 2012 5:53 pm

I don't think you'd need to select a keyboard, that's done in the OS. Whatever keyboard is active should work fine with your LiveCode app.

You don't say which mobile platform you're targeting. On Android I change the keyboard frequently and it works (with some restrictions.) I haven't tested an external keyboard in iOS but I can't see why it wouldn't be the same.

If you are targeting Android, some soft keyboards crash if they manipulate the keystrokes in some ways. SwiftKey will crash. The native Android soft keyboard does not crash. Since you'll be using a hardware keyboard, I think it will work fine; there will be no data manipulation before text entry occurs. It would be very easy to test though. All you'd need is a little app with a single field that you'd just type into.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Kerry

Post by Kerry » Thu May 24, 2012 6:29 pm

FrankR wrote:Is there anything special I will need to do to collect input from a bluetooth-attached keyboard?
What am I missing?
Nothing. If you use a reliable device it will work correctly without any problems

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”