Is the Web Deployment Pack Viable?

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

campsoftware

Is the Web Deployment Pack Viable?

Post by campsoftware » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:54 pm

I just sent this to support via the web form, but I thought I'd ask the same question here.

I just got a job to create an iPhone app that I know that LiveCode will be great at. I need the same app, or very similar, to run on web browsers for folks on computers. Is this possible with LiveCode?

I went into the meeting thinking that it would, but based on what I've been reading on the forums, it seems that the Web Deployment Pack doesn't work well: http://ftp.runrev.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 96&start=0

Also, I can't seem to find many examples that use the Web Deployment Pack to try, but I found this: http://gemetest.ihouse.on-rev.com/ which doesn't work in On Mac using Safari or Chrome on Lion, but to does work on FireFox. On Windows 7, it doesn't work in IE 8 but it does in Firefox.

How viable is the "Web Deployment Pack"? If it only works in Firefox, it's doesn't seem to be very useful for a public app.

Thanks, Hal

campsoftware

Re: Is the Web Deployment Pack Viable?

Post by campsoftware » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:10 pm

So I just tried another example and it only works in FireFox on both Mac and Windows:
http://www.docstoolchest.com/ASLWeb/

I then created a new stack with a button on it that does nothing. I saved it as a Web app and it only runs on FireFox on Mac. On Windows 7, it ran with FireFox and IE 8, but not Chrome.

Hal

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:16 pm

Hi Hal,

I would not rely on a plugin (which is so 90s :-) ) that has not been updated for over a year
and does not run on the Mac in Safari, which IS the browser most Mac users use.

Best

Klaus

campsoftware

Post by campsoftware » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:06 pm

Thank you Klaus. We decided to create a Mac and Windows app instead of going with the Web Deployment Pack.

mwieder
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by mwieder » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:40 pm

That's a wise move. You can always deploy to the web anyway, and it might work (you're not losing anything by setting that option in the standalone builder settings), but I think it's a good idea to plan otherwise and then be pleasantly surprised if the web option works out for you at the end of the development process.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:49 pm

And with the ability to deploy the UI stack to the standalone over HTTP, in practical terms the only difference between browser deployment and beyond-the-browser deployment is the wide range of limitations inherent in the browser experience.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

emdalton

Post by emdalton » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:39 pm

I'm still hoping for some kind of web deployment option that doesn't involve the end user having to install a plugin or download and install an application. I had been hoping for export to Java applet, or even export to swf (since the Flash plugin is installed in so many browsers already), but at this point I'm hoping for HTML5.

Am I the only one who wants to be able to incorporate interactive components on web pages and still be able to use Livecode as my development environment? :?
Elizabeth

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”