Socket connections limit.

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, robinmiller, kevinmiller

zaxos

Re: Socket connections limit.

Post by zaxos » Sat May 11, 2019 4:19 pm

REST = HTTP = sockets.

It would seem the difference between the working and non-working systems isn't sockets, but the protocol used on top of sockets.
I'm not sure what you by that. I understand HTTP requests use sockets but my point was that I no longer utilize a constant connection with the clients but instead the clients make calls to URLs in a predefined interval to indicate their status. In my previous setup the clients had to :
- Connect to the main server .
- Get a free port from the main server.
- Disconnect from the main server and connect to the worker they just received.
- Send their credentials and login.
- Send their status to the worker.
Server side also :
- Main server accepts connections on 2 ports, one for the workers and one for the clients.
- Main server has to keep track of the connected clients on each worker to make sure we don't overload them.
- Workers have to exchange data with the main server regarding the client status.
- I have to combine all of that data and send results back to the clients.
And much much more that overcomplicate things while with the restfull system I just make a simple url call with an API key attached to it. The downside to this is only that k don't have "live" data which means that I have a window of 2 minutes of "wrong data. Yes I understand I could'v gone to REST directly instead if creating the main server/worker solution and I WISH I knew back then... Also I understand I could use the current server and just close the connections instead of maintain them, but I see no point to it.
So to summarize , unless accuracy to second is needed ( like a chat application ? ) I would propably go for a REST solution next time. Hopefully that post saves time for someone else.

Also regarding my initial post, if LC was not crashing after some point, I wouldn't have created the main server/worker solution.
Knowledge is meant to be shared.

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Tue May 14, 2019 8:16 pm

Worker pools are a common solution to high-load requirements. But if load is low enough that REST works without that proxy, it's worth exploring why. Protocol choice is ideally a function of fitness for the task at hand, rather than as a means of handling limitations unrelated to the nature of the transaction itself.

If HTTP's request-reply format is a good fit, and you have a good solution in place now, I guess it's all good.

If reverse proxy is needed again down the road, at least you have the experience to handle that well.

And if nothing else, this seems a case where we've learned that keeping sockets open that aren't needed for the nature of the transaction can saturate resources.
Richard Gaskin
Community volunteer LiveCode Community Liaison

LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems: http://FourthWorld.com
LiveCode User Group on Facebook : http://FaceBook.com/groups/LiveCodeUsers/

zaxos

Post by zaxos » Fri May 24, 2019 10:15 am

And if nothing else, this seems a case where we've learned that keeping sockets open that aren't needed for the nature of the transaction can saturate resources.
Indeed I've learned so much invaluable information in the process ( and still learning ) that will definitely be an asset in the future. Currently, I ended up using a mixture of both the REST logic and the constant socket connections ( HTTP for storing/loading data and sockets just for notifying the clients if there is an update) which seems to be the most efficient way to handle my situation ;)
Knowledge is meant to be shared.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Fri May 24, 2019 5:53 pm

zaxos wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:15 am
Indeed I've learned so much invaluable information in the process ( and still learning ) that will definitely be an asset in the future. Currently, I ended up using a mixture of both the REST logic and the constant socket connections ( HTTP for storing/loading data and sockets just for notifying the clients if there is an update) which seems to be the most efficient way to handle my situation ;)
That's a valuable life lesson I'm still learning myself. We gravitate toward the idea of the One Perfect Solution For All Things, but in practice I find the best solution for a given task will vary according to its unique requirements.
Richard Gaskin
Community volunteer LiveCode Community Liaison

LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems: http://FourthWorld.com
LiveCode User Group on Facebook : http://FaceBook.com/groups/LiveCodeUsers/

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”