Data Grid sort with accented characters

Moderators: heatherlaine, kevinmiller, robinmiller, Zryip TheSlug

jlspereira

Data Grid sort with accented characters

Post by jlspereira » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:48 pm

I am a newbie using the Data Grid object to show records in a MySQL database.
The Data Grid is showing:

a) sort order of a name field is not consistent in some cases. E.g. a "Sábado" comes after "Suleiman" and it should be the opposite.

b) at a certain point the row data starts to be unaligned. By going to the MySQL workbench, the table for the select is ok.

can anyone help? (I am putting a snapshot of the stack)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-03-18 at 18.45.26.png
ss of problem

Zryip TheSlug
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Data Grid sort with accented characters

Post by Zryip TheSlug » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:58 pm

Hi jlspereira,

Note this forum is relative to the Data Grid Helper plugin which is a plugin for interfacing LiveCode Datagrids. But I can help you anyway.

In the inspector, go to the column tab, then select the "international" value for the "type" option.

Best Regards,
TheSlug
http://www.aslugontheroad.com - Tutorials, demo stacks and plugins for LiveCode
Data Grid Helper - An intuitive interface for building LiveCode's Data Grids
Excel Library- Extends the LiveCode language for controlling MS Excel

jlspereira

Post by jlspereira » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:16 am

Thanks a lot for the help. But behaviour was kept. I.e., the problem remains and it is not a sort problem. There must be something really wrong with my grid. I reckon that I must go to another forum. Can you please point me to the correct forum?

As it can be seen in the below screenshots, when the data is populating the grid, at a certain point the data populating the first column is not a number anymore but text.Then it goes back to number and again to text (screenshot 2). Finally, on screenshot 3 it shows the sort problem again (Suleimane/Sábado).

I think that, because I am a rookie I would really benefit from buying components such as the data grid helper and others. But I cannot test them before buying a commercial license of LiveCode which is a bit stupid, but it is reality. To do so, I am just waiting the opportunity (i.e. a small contract) that can pay for it.

So again, which will be the best forum to help me?

Kindest regards

joao

Screen Shot 01.png
shot 1
Screen Shot 02.png
shot 2
Screen Shot 03.png
shot 3

jlspereira

Post by jlspereira » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:18 am

One additional but probably important thing:

you may notice that in all screenshots a sort of a border (rectangle) shows inside the grid. I don't know how it appeared there and what to do to suppress it!

Zryip TheSlug

Post by Zryip TheSlug » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:13 pm

Hi Joao,
jlspereira wrote:Thanks a lot for the help. But behaviour was kept. I.e., the problem remains and it is not a sort problem. There must be something really wrong with my grid. I reckon that I must go to another forum. Can you please point me to the correct forum?
The best places are probably the beginner or developer forums.
jlspereira wrote:As it can be seen in the below screenshots, when the data is populating the grid, at a certain point the data populating the first column is not a number anymore but text.Then it goes back to number and again to text (screenshot 2). Finally, on screenshot 3 it shows the sort problem again (Suleimane/Sábado).
The problem is probably in how you are retrieving data from the database and / or how the data is encoded.
jlspereira wrote:I think that, because I am a rookie I would really benefit from buying components such as the data grid helper and others. But I cannot test them before buying a commercial license of LiveCode which is a bit stupid, but it is reality. To do so, I am just waiting the opportunity (i.e. a small contract) that can pay for it.
DGH is not compatible with the community version and a trial exists for the commercial version. Unfortunately, maintaining 2 versions of the product is not something I have time to do at this moment.

Best Regards,
TheSlug
http://www.aslugontheroad.com - Tutorials, demo stacks and plugins for LiveCode
Data Grid Helper - An intuitive interface for building LiveCode's Data Grids
Excel Library- Extends the LiveCode language for controlling MS Excel

Return to “Data Grid Helper”