Standalone apps on Pi

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

bertBUSIbr8

Standalone apps on Pi

Post by bertBUSIbr8 » Tue May 10, 2016 9:37 am

Hi,

Every now and then I get the urge to buy a Pi to play with, now is one of these moments again.

Just wondering if standalone apps created with LC run ok under Linux on the Pi?

Bert

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Standalone apps on Pi

Post by FourthWorld » Tue May 10, 2016 2:44 pm

Hello Bert -

The experimental Pi build of LiveCode is working well for some, but not so well for others, at least as far as the GUI is concerned. Hermann will hopefully chime in here with more useful info, but some are running LC well under Raspian Wheezy, others find occasional issues, and more so with the latest Raspian, Jesse.

I've been working with the core dev team at LiveCode to try to arrive at the most efficient work plan for moving the Pi build forward, and at the moment it appears we may set up a community team to manage that soon.

In the meantime, my own personal experience has been that I found some issues with the GUI on the Raspberry Pi 2, but that model was too annoyingly slow for me to use with a GUI anyway. So I made a new MicroSD card with Minimal Raspian and I can report that LiveCode Community Server for Pi runs excellently on it.

In fact, using the Pi facelessly has made me a convert to the utility of the Pi for serious work, mostly for IoT and server controller roles. I've been a big fan of low-power micro-servers for years, and the Pi is by far the most energy-efficient in my collection. With its 1 GB RAM and quad-core 900MHz CPU, I've been delightfully surprised at how capable it is.

I've been so impressed with the usefulness of a faceless Pi that my next step will be to replace Minimal Raspian with Ubuntu Core. Different mix of packages, and I have to admit that as much as I like the ideas around Ubuntu Core's Snappy architecture it definitely has a learning curve for those of us used to apt-get. But I like where Core is going, and it looks like it'll be a strong contender for both microservices and IoT, so I'm looking forward to making some time to learn to use it well.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

bertBUSIbr8

Post by bertBUSIbr8 » Tue May 10, 2016 4:18 pm

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your reply.

What about standalones created on Mac or PC for Linux. Will they run on Pi? That would be my main interest, to develop on those platforms and run apps on the Pi.

Bert

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Tue May 10, 2016 5:01 pm

If they need a GUI, the same potential issues would apply, Remember, the LC IDE is written using the same engine we use, so any crashers it exposes are at least potential issues for standalones.

The good news is that LC rarely crashes. The bad news is that for me, it crashes on m Pi2 the moment I click in any menu.

Try it for yourself (best with the Wheezy Raspian, I'm told), and let us know what you find. While some of us have had the menu crash, others report stable performance.
Richard Gaskin

[-hh]

Post by [-hh] » Tue May 10, 2016 7:57 pm

Hi all,

one thing in advance: On Raspi B and Raspi 2 you have for some display-intensive GUI apps to adjust the part of RAM that's reserved for the GPU.
There is no rule for that. What I can say is that all the stacks from the Raspi collection run well on a cheap 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz Monitor with the default settings (see /boot/config.txt on your Raspi).

The stacks of the Raspi stacks collection are all tested to run even on a Raspi B "fast enough", also as a standalone.
That's the only criterion for a "Raspi-stack" there. (Vice versa one may hope, they are very fast on other platforms.)

The standalones for Raspi can be produced (also) by Mac/Win/Linux, ONLY in the LC 7.0.4 community edition.
That's why the stacks run faster than a standalone when using the 6.5.1 IDE instead (once again: the standalone speed is 7.0.4-speed).

These are the performance factors from my experience.

If a medium fast machine (Mac mini @ 2.5 GHz CPU/Intel 4000 GPU) is the base then
  • Raspi 3 is at about 8-10 times slower,
  • Raspi 2 is at about 10-12 times slower,
  • Raspi B is at about 20-24 times slower.
The first number is for LC 6.5.1 IDE, the second for LC 7.0.4 IDE or Standalones.

This means for me: If the Mac mini needs for any often used handler not less than 100 millisecs then it is (mostly) not acceptable for Raspi.

Have fun!
Hermann
shiftLock happens

vascoribeiro

Post by vascoribeiro » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:54 am

Hello everyone!
I have a question...
I got a raspberry pi to learn about it and to run my apps made with livecode. So... This may be a dumb question but I cannot figure out how to run the apps.

I try to run and nothing happens. I try ./myApp and I get:
Exec format error

Can anyone help?
Thank you!

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:57 am

Which LiveCode version are you using?
Richard Gaskin

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:20 pm

Richard's question is quite pertinent, there are only a few versions of Lc that produce standalone programs for pi. 7.0.4 I think being the last of those.

vascoribeiro

Post by vascoribeiro » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:23 pm

It is indeed 7.0.4

I also tried to save as standalone in pi and also in my mac (in a newer version of Lc) but got the same error. :?

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:00 pm

Ah. I assume that within the IDE you have installed on the Pi device itself, the stacks run during development?

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you then. I initially thought some of the post discussion between Richard and I in this thread might have helped, but now I am not so sure.

Hopefully Richard or Hermann might chime in with more knowledge, Pi isn't (yet) one of my specialties (I haven't gotten around to getting one yet) :roll:

vascoribeiro

Post by vascoribeiro » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:24 pm

You assume it right! It runs nicely, its quite a simple program to read data from an Arduino, but it would nice if it would work as a standalone so if I have people around and I'm giving some class or workshop they don't change the code :D

[-hh]

Post by [-hh] » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:33 pm

The "Exec format error" is usually caused by a 64bit/32bit problem.
But if the LC IDE is running there should be no such problem.

On which Raspi type are you and which OS are you running on it?
Are you doing any OS access from your stack in the IDE?

I have no problems here with RaspiA /Raspi 2B+ /Raspi 3, running Debian or Lubuntu.
  • Please try to compile with a simple "Hello World" button and field only, so that we can isolate the problem.
  • Try also your stack with "search for required inclusions" checked in the "Standalone Applications Settings".
[LC 7.0.4 is for me the ONLY stable version that can create Raspi standalones (may be also faster compiled on desktop and then moved to your Raspi). Check ARMv6-HF in the Linux tab of the standalone settings of your stack. You may have to set the executable bit on your Raspi before running it.]
shiftLock happens

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:47 pm

^ *executable bit" - if you're using v7.0.4, I suspect hh is on it there.
Richard Gaskin

vascoribeiro

Post by vascoribeiro » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:31 am

[-hh] wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:33 pm
On which Raspi type are you and which OS are you running on it?
Are you doing any OS access from your stack in the IDE?

I have no problems here with RaspiA /Raspi 2B+ /Raspi 3, running Debian or Lubuntu.
  • Please try to compile with a simple "Hello World" button and field only, so that we can isolate the problem.
  • Try also your stack with "search for required inclusions" checked in the "Standalone Applications Settings".
[LC 7.0.4 is for me the ONLY stable version that can create Raspi standalones (may be also faster compiled on desktop and then moved to your Raspi). Check ARMv6-HF in the Linux tab of the standalone settings of your stack. You may have to set the executable bit on your Raspi before running it.]
This is my setup:

Pi 2 Model B v1.1
Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)

I've tried to do a simple Hello World also without success and I usually do the sudo chmod +x (...) before trying to run the standalone.
But I may doing it wrong. Sorry for my dumbness. :|

[-hh]

Post by [-hh] » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:59 am

I have a similar model somewhere with a motion cam (for the rabbits of my youngest daughter).
Given time (next week?) I'll take it out for a few hours and write down my steps for your scenario.
shiftLock happens

Return to “Raspberry Pi”