live webinar issues

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

walkerl26

live webinar issues

Post by walkerl26 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:40 pm

The sound problems today were even worse than last week. I had to bail on today's webinar: too painful to listen to! I think I've decided to skip the live webinars and just do the lessons from downloaded videos. I find that I can't keep up with typing, watching the GoToMeeting window and, thinking about what's happening all at the same time anyway, so I end up watching the webinar and then going back through the video the next day (or whenever they become available). I can save the hour+ of webinar-watching time, though it will cost me access (until later) to the live Q&A's...

I'm wondering if the live webinar model is the right one for these classes. I found the format for the previous Biz Academy worked a lot better: just email me when the videos are available and let me download and work through them as time permits.

Just wanted to toss in that feedback: love the series but the webinar format seems less-than-optimal, particularly given the technical issues that seem to re-occur...

Larry

cavenewt
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: live webinar issues

Post by cavenewt » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:08 pm

I would agree except it's nice to be able to ask questions during the live feed so as to get quick answers. After the first 2 lessons I decided to not touch my stack during the live feed!

Today, they finally got it working so we finished the video & Q&A inside of one hour. When the sound goes south, I console myself with the knowledge that the recording will be fine.

Speaking for myself, I know that if the lessons were self-paced, I would rapidly fall so far behind as to never catch up. Need the impetus of the live schedule to keep myself working away.

EOTR

Post by EOTR » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:35 pm

Ideally, I'd like to be able to download and watch the lesson video on Friday and spend Tuesday in a full hour long Q&A. This would give me time to work through the lesson over the weekend and formulate questions ahead of time.
walkerl26 wrote:The sound problems today were even worse than last week. I had to bail on today's webinar: too painful to listen to!
Yes. The problem seems to be with the pre-recorded feed. The live Q&A part seems to work without any problems.

LCNeil
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LCNeil » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:25 pm

Hi Everyone,

First please let me apologies for the steam issues that have arisen in todays and last weeks webinars.

We have been experiencing varying network issues on both our main and backup office connections and we are working with our ISPs to locate the root cause of what could be causing this to happen. We do perform various tests before each webinar starts, and these work great and streaming presents no issues. This leads me to believe that its a combination of network contention & traffic management that could be the culprit especially since we are streaming at peak times here in the UK.

For next weeks webinar, we are planning to stream on a separate connection from another location on a different ISP and this should resolve the issue and hopefully provide a more watchable/enjoyable experience for everyone.

Again, apologise for the issues today and I look forward to seeing you all in the webinar next week

Kind Regards,

Neil Roger
--
RunRev Support Team ~ http://www.runrev.com
-

garyth123

Post by garyth123 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:46 am

And what about the Q&A from yesterday--when will that be held? I had to leave before the scheduled end of the webinar, so don't know if a time was decided.

cavenewt

Post by cavenewt » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:45 pm

garyth123 wrote:And what about the Q&A from yesterday--when will that be held? I had to leave before the scheduled end of the webinar, so don't know if a time was decided.
The streaming was finally fixed, mostly, so the Q&A proceeded on schedule. As of right now, it is not uploaded yet, but I'm sure they will get it up there as soon as they can.

garyth123

Post by garyth123 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:50 pm

Thanks for letting me know, cavenewt.

Sandy

Post by Sandy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:02 pm

Even when the projector bulb blows, the specimen slides off the table, and the chalk breaks, it's valuable to have the schedule and the live interaction.

The downloadable materials are brilliant. I had to miss the first 2 classes, and it was easy to catch up.

shawnblc
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by shawnblc » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:10 pm

Where do you access these live streams and links?

cavenewt

Post by cavenewt » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:35 pm

shawnblc wrote:Where do you access these live streams and links?
When you signed up for summer school, they sent a series of emails with all that info. It's password-protected.

Return to “Summer School 2013”