Lesson 1

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

etalfree

Lesson 1

Post by etalfree » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:23 am

I've been working on lesson 1 for over a week and I can't get it to work. I'm running LiveCode 6.1 with a Windows 7 OS, sp1. First there is no "nav button" for android, secondly the "Alt key and double click ..." does not work to resize the buttons to fit the space and thirdly after following the video and print out I've not been able to get the button names to show in the Title bar. I know it has to be me, but could you take three minutes and demo lesson 1 on a Windows machine doing a 100% android build? This may help me to see what i'm doing wrong.

Thank you,

John E

Coffee1633
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Lesson 1

Post by Coffee1633 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:35 am

Here are a few things I noticed about MobGui that might help you.
First there is no "nav button" for android
The number of Android controls vs IOS controls are significantly fewer. I don't think that there is a NavBar item specifically for Android. (I'm not an Android user so I'm not familiar with the look and feel of their interface. Will get to that after I finish this iOS app. Maybe just use the NavBar control from the iOS tool set for now or you can find an Android one out there if you have the time. There must be premade controls for Android which you can use to add to a regular button.)
secondly the "Alt key and double click ..." does not work to resize the buttons to fit the space
Try this experiment.
right click on the iPhone icon on MobGui
select iOS controls 1
right click and choose 3
drag the "Button" control with the red 3 to a test stack
make sure the "Select Grouped" tool at the top is selected (it should be green when selected)
and alt + click on one of the buttons you just placed on the stack
It won't fill the screen because just like the Android buttons these are not TabBar buttons. These buttons just position themselves to iOS HIG rules, such as 10 points from the edge or centered etc.
Now right click on the iPhone icon on MobGui again
select iOS controls 2
Do the right click, choose 3 buttons, and this time choose the buttons with the star on it.
drag these buttons to the stack and try to resize these "TabBar Buttons"
It should fill the width of the screen
thirdly after following the video and print out I've not been able to get the button names to show in the Title bar
As for the title bar
if you get the above tab buttons to work, and then follow the video instructions exactly, you should be able to make the title bar change with just a few lines of code.

give it another try after you get the iOS tab bar buttons working

HTH
Coffee16

etalfree

Post by etalfree » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:58 pm

Thank you Coffee1633,

The experiment fails for me. I'll scrub everything down and reinstall from the beginning and try again. If that fails, I'll just withdraw from the Summer School.

Thanks for your assistance.

John E

amanteai

Post by amanteai » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:08 am

Don't give up! I can't help with the first 2, but the titles showing up I can help. :)

I've scrubbed and retried Lesson 1 five times and I finally got it. (Guess I shouldn't do work at midnight.) Make sure you're updated the title name IN mobgui, not in any of the inspectors under the Object menu. I finally caught that bit of important direction the fifth time around. Whoops. :shock:

etalfree

Post by etalfree » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:44 am

well I reinstalled everything and got 'alt + double click' to work, once :-) It must be my thumbs causing the problems. Anyway I completed lesson one, but just left the buttons 'as is' for now. I'll finish catching up before class tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help.

John E

ddaniels

Re: Lesson 1 : downloaded video is black on all *nix players

Post by ddaniels » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:52 am

I downloaded the video for lesson one on Linux Mint 13 machine.
web: livecode-ebook-academy/ 73/
Video fails:

VLC =fail
movie player = fail
gnome-mplayer = fail

Return to “Summer School 2013”