Suggestions for Icon Editors?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

edblackhurst
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Suggestions for Icon Editors?

Post by edblackhurst » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:07 pm

Hello, All --

In reviewing Apple guidelines, I notice that icons of different sizes are required for various purposes in apps submitted as standalones. The icons I have developed in the past were done in drawing programs that did not support precise sizings, such as that required by Apple. I imagine that an app submitted with other than a required 72 x 72 or 144 x 144 pixel icon would be cause for rejection.

Any suggestions for easy-to-use icon editors that are reasonably priced? (Free or shareware would be great, too.)

Ed

Simon

Re: Suggestions for Icon Editors?

Post by Simon » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:15 pm

Hi Ed,
I use:
http://www.axialis.com/iconworkshop/index.html
It's kind of funky and I ignore most of it but it does do the job for custom icons.

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

Coffee1633

Post by Coffee1633 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:20 pm

I believe Gimp is free and does pixel based editing.
I'm a big Adobe fan so that means Photoshop and Illustrator but they are pricy.
However, Photoshop Elements runs for under $100 and by learning some of the basics you can be up and running in a short time.

If you only want to do icons then maybe a dedicated icon program for simplicity and ease of use but the trade off is its limitations. If you invest in pixel based editing program like PS Elements then you will be able to use it for much more like backgrounds, animated gifs, other UI elements, but then you need to invest the time to learn how to use it.
For that, I highly recommend Lynda.com. I'm a big fan of Lynda too.

Coffee16

dbcbos

Post by dbcbos » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:49 am

I use Icon Maker downloadable from the Apple Store. Since I don't really have the creativity too make my own icons or patience using Gimp or Photoshop Elements.

Socan

Post by Socan » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:39 pm

Hi all,

If you have Photoshop, do a search for the App Icon Template from pixelresort by Michael Flarup (sorry... not allowed to post links on the forum yet, apparently)

It works brilliantly to get all sizes and files perfect in a few clicks and the tutorial is very well laid out so a photoshop novice like me can get good results.

There is also an update for iOS7 icons, so it is definitely a useful one to check out.

Cheers
Bill

EOTR

Post by EOTR » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:31 pm

Just wanted to throw out another Photoshop plugin suggestion. I use this thing called "Dev Rocket" by ui parade. It actually does 5 useful things:

-includes an icon template with a master graphic file, so you make your graphic and then it resizes it into the various iOS icon formats
-creates iOS templates replete with status, nav, and tab bars
-shows a preview of your UI design wrapped in an iOS device looking graphic
-allows you to drag-and-drop elements from reusable libraries (they make another plugin called "Pixel Dropr" that allows you to make your own libraries)
-outputs each layer/group to individual png files ready to import into your development workflow

It is a Photoshop plugin though, and not a stand alone app. Its great because the process of translating your icon design to different resolutions and saving it as separate files is all automated.

edblackhurst

Post by edblackhurst » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:53 pm

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll do some exploring. Appreciate the quick responses.

Cheers!

Ed

Coffee1633

Post by Coffee1633 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:16 am

Thanks EOTR

That PS plugin called Dev Rocket" by ui parade sounds awesome. I'm going to give it a try when the time comes. It sounds like a big time saver.

coffee16

EOTR

Post by EOTR » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:30 am

Coffee1633 wrote:Thanks EOTR

That PS plugin called Dev Rocket" by ui parade sounds awesome. I'm going to give it a try when the time comes. It sounds like a big time saver.

coffee16
No problem! Glad I could point something useful out. The best part is the plugin is only $19 USD. And yes, it's a huge time saver. Cuts about 15-20 minutes of work down to literally 3 seconds.

Return to “Summer School 2013”