When to switch from DC to Media?

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

blingbling

When to switch from DC to Media?

Post by blingbling » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:17 am

I still have several months to go on my Dreamcard license. I can think of some reasons to stick it out to the bitter end, and some reasons to move to Media pre-emptively.

Paying $49 for Media is not a serious problem for me.

What's the wiser course?

If I move to Media and start entering data in my stacks, will the stacks still work right in Dreamcard 2.7?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

revdan

Post by revdan » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:00 pm

If I move to Media and start entering data in my stacks, will the stacks still work right in Dreamcard 2.7?
I don't even know there will be a DC 2.7, will there? I thought Rev had indicated that Media replaces DC?

Timothy

Post by Timothy » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:45 pm

It's me, the OP, with a new username.

Yeah, I own a copy of DC 2.7. My 2.6 license had many months left on it when RR 2.7 came out. I guess there was a short window of opportunity to upgrade to 2.7. Apparently DC was dropped when Media was released.

Cheers,

Tim
It's better to be happy and rich than poor and sad -- W. C. Fields

Lynn

Post by Lynn » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:58 pm

revdan wrote:
I don't even know there will be a DC 2.7, will there? I thought Rev had indicated that Media replaces DC?
Revolution Media didnt replace DreamCard. DreamCard we eliminated on its own (de)merits.
Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
Paradigma Software - Ultra Fast Database & Reporting Platform for LiveCode
http://www.paradigmasoft.com

Timothy

Post by Timothy » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:42 am

I'm afraid I didn't get a definite answer to my question. I'm the OP, but I changed my username. I understand this might be a trivial question, but I lack confidence in my ability to get it right.

My Dreamcard license is valid for about another year, as I recall. Aside from the smallish cost of buying a Media license, are there important pros and cons to switching to Media now vs. later?

I understand there are some differences between the products. As far as I know, I'm not doing anything in Dreamcard that Media won't do, but I'm not certain.

If I open my Dreamcard stacks in Media and save them, will they still open and run in Dreamcard?

(I'll back up, of course, but I'm entering data every day, and saving a new backup every day, so restoring to a backup only a few days old would cause me serious data loss.)

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Timothy

Post by Timothy » Tue May 02, 2006 6:40 pm

Okay, never mind, to heck with it. I'll just download or purchase a copy of Media and mess around with it until I figure it out. Maybe that's what I should have done in the first place.

Tim

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”