Old fashioned hypercard navigation arrows

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

caw

Old fashioned hypercard navigation arrows

Post by caw » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:33 am

Hi folks

I'm looking for the old-fashioned hypercard next/prev/first/last arrows to put on a stack. They were, if my memory doesn't fail me, images that you could import into hypercard. The LiveCode image library of the personal edition only has small little arrows.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Klaus

Re: Old fashioned hypercard navigation arrows

Post by Klaus » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:09 pm

Hi Chris,

in the image library of LiveCode, select "MetaCard Compatible Icons" in the popup on the top left side.
Maybe there you will find these icons?

And if you have an old HC stack with these icons in it, you could try to simply open that stack in LiveCode
and copy the icons/images over to another stack.

Best

Klaus

caw

Post by caw » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:21 pm

Exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks for your prompt reply!

Chris

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:33 pm

I have a library of all the old HC icons. You can't usually just open an old HC stack and move the icons to your own library because most of them are in the HC engine, not in your stack, so LiveCode doesn't see or move them. But I've collected them because I do so many old HC conversions. To use this library, find the folder where you are storing your library resources, which by default is at:

~/Documents/My LiveCode/Resources/Icon Libraries /

Unzip the file, drop stack in there and restart LiveCode.
Attachments
revLibHyperCard Icons.zip
(196.43 KiB) Downloaded 241 times
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:49 pm

I realize this thread is from 2011 :D but I couldn't figure out where else to stick this find, and some like the 'retro' icons that were around from the time. I also don't know if these icons really are 'authentic' or not, but they sure look it.

Found these while looking for the old Hypercard icons myself [Hypercard Graphics pack]

Btw Jacque, thanks for uploading what you have, downloading those now :D

jacque

Post by jacque » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:40 pm

They're authentic, exported from the HC home stack resource fork.

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:49 pm

The ones I found are authentic? Cool, I was hoping they were.

jacque

Post by jacque » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:03 pm

Sorry, I'm not sure about the ones you found. The ones I uploaded are real though.

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:36 pm

Oh I knew yours were Jacque :D

*Edit -
jacque wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:33 pm
To use this library, find the folder where you are storing your library resources, which by default is at:
~/Documents/My LiveCode/Resources/Icon Libraries /
Something must have changed between 2011 and 2013 (Lc 6.0.1), the '/My LiveCode' folder doesn't appear to contain anything aside from 'Extensions' and 'Plugins' that I could see. I poked around the resources folder in the installed folder, but it looks like they changed the format for pulling icons if my guess is right.

Instead, I created a stack and copied the icons over, then sorted them into some semblance of order that looked about right to me and grouped them, then made the group resize to the size of the window.

I'll work on being able to select em later :D but it is an interesting collection.

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:30 pm

You can create the folder manually at that location. Not all folders are there after the initial install.

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:59 pm

That sounds right, having remembered my experiences with some other plugins, and I had done that before making the post above. It did not give me access to the icons through the image library, is there some other way I should have tried?

Of course, something might also be different because this is linux, but I attempted to use them from vers. 6.0.1 to 8.1.6, and no love before I made that stack. Is this like that 'start using library stack' thing? Will try some other things as I think of them.

bogs

Post by bogs » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:12 am

Well, I obviously missed something pretty basic :roll: but this works well enough for me at the moment. I took the stack, have the group box resize to whatever size the stack is, click on the icon, then paste it to the project. Not as nice as importing them to the image library in some ways, but probably in a more coherent order :D

Just unzip it and drop it in the plugins folder.
revJacquesHypercardIcons.rev.zip
Jacque's Hypercard Icons plugin
(197.89 KiB) Downloaded 199 times

jacque

Post by jacque » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:25 pm

I had to go look it up. The folder structure you need should be in the My LiveCode folder, like this:

My LiveCode/Resources/Icon Libraries

If any of those folders don't exist you can create them. Inside the Icon Libraries folder put your icon stack. The name of the file must begin with "rev", like this: revLibWhatever.rev. My libraries are all older so the extension is ".rev" but probably ".livecode" would work too. The magic part is the "rev" at the front of the file name (not the stack name, the file on disk.)

Restart LC and when you pull down the Image Library menu item in the Development menu you should see your new library in the option button.

bogs

Post by bogs » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:25 pm

I have to say thank you again, Jacque, I've learned a LOT in playing with this.
jacque wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:25 pm
I had to go look it up...
I would love to know where you found it, I was less than successful at locating (almost anything) about the subject :lol:

What I did instead was to clone your initial stack, "revLibHyperCard Icons.rev", then open the property inspector, which gave me the stacks internal name, "revLibHyperCard Icons". Following the rest of your directions and creating the missing folders again (I assume I must have typo'd the first time round), I did indeed see your stack in the image chooser.

That made me think a bit, because I might want to create my own stacks of icons at some point (I was doing that today, actually). So I pulled that stack I posted up there, ungrouped the icons, changed its stack name to include "revLib", then saved it (in legacy 2.7) as "revLib_JacquesHypercardIcons.rev".

This also worked, but I wasn't sure why all the icons were still displayed exactly the same, after all, I re-aligned them into a bit of a grouping. Then I thought, maybe the image library stack orders them by layer. Hm. Since I like they way they look in that picture in my previous post, I re-layered them from the last row up, sending them all to the bottom layer in order, and let Lc move them up through the layers. Worked beautifully :D

So what I took away from this experience is -
  • Both the stack name and the file on disk have to be named starting with "revLibxxx.rev", or possibly as you suggest ".livecode" (although I have not confirmed that).
  • Layer determines the order the icons show up in the image library.
  • If you do something wrong, or forget a step in the above naming, Lc falls back to using its internal image library (which was part of what threw me off, I saw libraries I *knew* were set disappear and reappear :shock: )
All in all a fun couple days. Now to go mess with Mc's image icons ! And thank you again Jacque :D Here is the re-organized stack of icons.
Attachments
revLib_JacquesHypercardIcons.rev.zip
(197.25 KiB) Downloaded 187 times

jacque

Post by jacque » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:25 pm

I would love to know where you found it, I was less than successful at locating (almost anything) about the subject
I looked at the file structure on my hard drive. :) I think I got the original instructions years ago on the mailing list, way back before we even had the forums here.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”