Skinning the Tab Panel

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

Bantymom

Skinning the Tab Panel

Post by Bantymom » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:29 am

I am using a Tab Panel to display different Interfaces for the Teacher. I tried to set the fill property to a pleasant yellow rather than the cold metallic gray of the default. It did fill in the center of the dished-out face of it, but the color bled beyond the rounded edges (I sure hope that makes sense). The other properties on Colors and Patterns don't really seem to effect it either. Am I doing something wrong or is it just not possible to change the appearance of the Tab Panel? If it isn't, just let me know and I'll learn to live with it, hehehe.

Thank you very much,
Bantymom
2nd-grade Teacher, Poultry Fancier, Scottish Country Dancer
and Perpetual Beginner

Klaus

Re: Skinning the Tab Panel

Post by Klaus » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:45 pm

Hi Bantymom,

as you already experienced, there is not much that can be skinned in a "tabbed" button since this control is provided by the underlying OS and not much modifiable.

Roll your own! :D

Best

Klaus

Bantymom

Post by Bantymom » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:07 am

Okie-dokie then, live with it then, it is. I'll just make any cards intended for teachers mimic the OS then. Thank you so much for the reply. You have saved me hours of futile experimentation (I can be very stubborn sometimes).

*offers a plate of brownies*

Bantymom
2nd-grade Teacher, Poultry Fancier, Scottish Country Dancer
and Perpetual Beginner

tturner43

Post by tturner43 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:14 am

Did anyone figure out how to "roll your own"?

I have grouped text boxes that I have grouped by tab panel... and you flip between them... but wondering also if this is no good for mac or ios where you would normally flip or slide between those sections of data entry???

If I use Tab Panel I need to be able to color it... is there a way to do that or do I need a 3rd party control?

BvG
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by BvG » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:53 am

how to roll your own:

create a graphic
make your content into groups
make a button that is on top of the graphic for each group, name the buttons the same as groups
make sure the groups are on top of the graphic (not behind it)
put scripts like this into the buttons:

Code: Select all

--untested
constant theListOfGroups = "name of group 1,nameGroup 2, group 3 name"
on mouseUp
repeat for each item theItem in theListOfGroups
hide group theItem
end repeat
show group the short name of me
end mouseUp
Various teststacks and stuff:
http://bjoernke.com

Chat with other RunRev developers:
chat.freenode.net:6666 #livecode

tturner43

Post by tturner43 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:27 pm

This question I posted b/c I have a true tab panel at bottom of my main app screen....

On the top right I have a list of buttons that flip between 2 graphs, a grid control, some data entry screens.... In VB6 these are just buttons that show and hide things....

Is there a control like an outlook style bar or some other button bar that would let me replace all of these individual buttons with a more cohesive interface element?

Or would I need to roll my own the same as the tab panel?

kray

Post by kray » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:52 am

I'm not sure, but I've started gathering up all of the custom controls that people have done (that I'm aware of) at the DropTools site, look at the "Other Controls" section for the list I've gathered. Ones that work with the DropTools palette are listed in the "All DropTools" section. I'm working on new controls all the time, so if you have suggestions for ones that are more important to you than others, please let me know.
Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Email: kray@sonsothunder.com
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com

teacherguy

Post by teacherguy » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:54 am

kray wrote:....I've started gathering up all of the custom controls that people have done (that I'm aware of) at the DropTools site,
Very cool, thanks.

Brian

kdjanz

Post by kdjanz » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:02 am

Excellent Ken.

Thanks for your work on this. I've added this to another thread over in the December Academy forum where all the brand new newbies are hanging out right now while the course is on.

Kelly

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”