Stack allready in memory

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Stack allready in memory

Post by richmond62 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:34 pm

Are ask/answer windows a type of substack?

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:15 pm

Only in a standalone!
In that case LC makes them substacks of the runtime-stack.

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:30 pm

I will posit a scenario where the OP has the two individually named stacks in the Community Edition v 9.x.x and realised that he cannot password protect them when building a standalone.
Then the OP opened the older Rev Studio 4.0 IDE to make the standalone build with password protection, but either he or the Community IDE somehow failed to close and remove from memory. (I have seen occasions where the visible windows disappear but the running task list still shows LiveCode running.)
I don't know how plausible this scenario is (I think it might be expected that each version of the IDE opens as its own instance so could have the stacks concurrently open. On the other hand, if one IDE marks the stacks as open, then the other might call foul. I haven't been able to test.)

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:35 pm

Only in a standalone!
Does building a standalone ONLY make ask/answer windows substacks in the standalones that are hived off the source stack, or does it make them substacks of the source stack BEFORE it hives off the standalones?

Because if the second situation is what happens that could make things a bit difficult if the programmer then subsequently opens the source stack for further editing.

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:49 pm

richmond62 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:35 pm
Only in a standalone!
Does building a standalone ONLY make ask/answer windows substacks in the standalones that are hived off the source stack, or does it make them substacks of the source stack BEFORE it hives off the standalones?

Because if the second situation is what happens that could make things a bit difficult if the programmer then subsequently opens the source stack for further editing.
LC creates a COPY of the runtime stack in the TEMP folder and turns that one into a standalone,
including making the ASK/Answer dialogs substacks of that namely stack.
So the initial stack remains "untouched".

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:13 am

Thanks Klaus, although brings us no nearer to an answer.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”