Tiling a background image

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Tiling a background image

Post by FourthWorld » Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:16 pm

dunbarx wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:42 pm
Bad grammar? Where?

"Have", ah, autocorrect at work again. Fixed.

Perhaps did not understand the question; that is different.

I was making a point, as fan boys do now and then, that LC has within it most of the tools anyone could ever likely need, including odd use-case ones. In other words, someone simply refers one to an entry in the dictionary where the perfect solution sits ready and waiting. This happens often, and I was wondering if any other programming environment is as forthcoming.
Yes, when the question is for a basic essential as is the case here. But of course less so if we go hunting for things rarely needed.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:08 pm

Richard.
But of course less so if we go hunting for things rarely needed.
How does LC fair in even that sort of scenario? There may not be a definitive answer to that question.

I just recall numerous occasions where even experienced LC'ers remark about the fact that there was a function, property or command that did just what they were wishing for, but that they did not know existed.

I assume all languages with large vocabularies (suffer?) from that. Just wondering how LC fit there.

Craig

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:25 am

dunbarx wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:08 pm
I just recall numerous occasions where even experienced LC'ers remark about the fact that there was a function, property or command that did just what they were wishing for, but that they did not know existed.

I assume all languages with large vocabularies (suffer?) from that. Just wondering how LC fit there.
I think most systems worth using will have opportunities for discovery.

I've been enjoying this fella for getting up to speed on modern CSS - this vid starts off with some tame stuff, but by halfway he's showing techniques that would require a lot of code without newer CSS, fun stuff:
https://youtu.be/y8-F5-2EIcg?si=42i_ljaBT5KjnAOM
Richard Gaskin

jacque

Post by jacque » Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:23 pm

dunbarx wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:42 pm
I was making a point, as fan boys do now and then, that LC has within it most of the tools anyone could ever likely need, including odd use-case ones. In other words, someone simply refers one to an entry in the dictionary where the perfect solution sits ready and waiting. This happens often, and I was wondering if any other programming environment is as forthcoming.
It also happens to users who aren't beginners. Yesterday I knew there was a term I needed but I couldn't remember the name. I searched the dictionary for what I thought would be related terms but it didn't show up. I was at it for probably 20 minutes and never did find it until suddenly I remembered.

It's that thing where you need to know the name to look it up. I'm sure it applies to all languages.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:49 pm

That, my dear Jacque, may be tempus fugit (experiencing it myself) rather than the dictionary as such.

But, as the user base of LC is ageing, a cookery book as well as a dictionary might be a good thing.

And, a 'tiling an image' is a relatively generic term, it might behoove LC to get in the groove, as stuff about a backGroundPattern (is that called 'camelToe' writing?) is not the first, nor the second or third thing that is going to spring to mind.

While you and I might consider ourselves ageing trendies, those people under 50 probably look on us as a spent force, and the best way to disprove it is to keep pace with current jargon.

jacque

Post by jacque » Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:41 pm

richmond62 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:49 pm
That, my dear Jacque, may be tempus fugit (experiencing it myself) rather than the dictionary as such.
Well, I wish tempus would just fugit itself and leave me alone.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:25 am

That field appears to be overriding the inheritance, no? Try clearing its backgroundColor property and see if that allows the inheritance.
No!

What a bloody nuisance!
-
Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 10.20.58.png
-
This is an ongoing concern of mine.

Is there a way to guarantee that a newly created field will inherit either the backGroundColor of its stack, or of the backGroundColor of its card?

Presumably this is because while LiveCode is object-based it is not object-oriented, so strict inheritance is not present, and there does not seem to be a way to enforce it.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:46 am

This does not help very much:
-
Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 10.45.10.png
-
And this seems plain warped:
-
Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 10.47.38.jpg
-
And does NOT help if one wants to set up a stack so that new fields will AUTOMATICALLY inherit a backGroundColor.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:34 pm

What happens if you turn off the opaque of the field, as SparkOut suggested a while back?
Richard Gaskin

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:50 pm

Well, unsurprisingly if one turns off the opaque of a field it becomes transparent, which is all very jolly unless you want that field to obcure something else.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”