Deploying to the Windows App Store

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, kevinmiller

egolombek

Deploying to the Windows App Store

Post by egolombek » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:02 am

So... my first app is ready for deployment. But, I am struggling to distribute it. I packaged it using an installer, and uploaded the installer to a website. But, when users try to download it, they get warning after warning that such files are highly dangerous, likely filled with viruses and possibly could cause their computers to leak toxic gas (OK, maybe not that last one). The process is so difficult that only about 20% of my pilot users have managed to download it. Help! I thought maybe if I upload it to the Windows App Store, I could solve this problem. But, I am finding that this itself is challenging. Like you need a privacy policy, and a manifest and, and, and... And, can someone point me in the direction of a video or a web page on how I can upload a LiveCode App? Or, other ideas for deployment? It seems so dumb to be stuck at this point.

Thank you for any help!

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Deploying to the Windows App Store

Post by richmond62 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:23 pm

I packaged it using an installer
I think it is the installer that is throwing up the warnings.

Try downloading one of my zip files and see what warnings Windows does or does not throw up. :)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2vgc1ei088hd ... QQjYa?dl=0

stam

Post by stam » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:28 pm

That being said, it would genuinely be helpful if someone had an “idiots guide” on how to submit apps to the windows and Mac App Store...

Is there “an app for that”?
In the world of XOJO you can use the Ohanaware appWrapper that manages code signing, notarisation etc - these processes seem to just increase in complexity so having a helper app is invaluable... not sure if they cover Windows or if it will work for non-XOJO apps...

Is there anything similar to this for LiveCode?

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:45 pm

Is there anything similar to this for LiveCode?
Not that I'm aware of.

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:54 pm

Did you try the appWrapper on your LC EXE?
If I remember correctly, a lot of LC users use this software to "sign" their apps.

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:05 pm

As far as I know, AppWrapper is only for Mac.

You need to get a verified certificate and attach it to the app. We use kSoftware, which sells certificates and provides a free utility that codesigns your app.
https://www.ksoftware.net/code-signing-certificates/

Certificates are not free but kSoftware has one of the least expensive. You will need to provide some verified info about your developer status, but that's the only way to get past Window's validity checks. I assume the Windows app store is looking for the same thing, so where you distribute doesn't matter. We distribute via a web site without any problem.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:13 pm

Oh yes, AppWrapper is Mac only, sorry.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”