Cannot Search Forum Bug

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, kevinmiller

5imon

Cannot Search Forum Bug

Post by 5imon » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:29 pm

I can search the forum when I'm logged out, but when I'm logged in I'm told I do not have permissions to use Search on this site.

Mac and Ubuntu. Search field is available until I log it and then it's gone. Also, typing the search query directly into the URL does not work.

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Cannot Search Forum Bug

Post by richmond62 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:12 pm

I wonder which browser you are using: I use Waterfox on both MacOS 10.15.6 beta 2 and Xubuntu 20.04
and can search the Forums whether logged in or not.

5imon

Post by 5imon » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:18 pm

On macOS Mojave I'm using Safari and on Ubuntu 20_04 I'm using FireFox.

BTW, I'm wondering if the problem is that my account is new (but been around since MetaCard). I can't even type 20 . 04 as a string or the forum thinks I'm uploading an image:

"You can’t post image, email or url links that are external to this domain. Please remove 10."

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by dunbarx » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:35 pm

Simon.

Probably because your account is new. The universe does not know you in your other guise.

Craig

ghettocottage

Post by ghettocottage » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:11 pm

Usually when I am searching through the forums I do not even bother using the forum search-bar; It hardly ever returns what I want to see.

Instead, I go to google.com and in the search bar type:

Code: Select all

site:https://forums.livecode.com/  keyword1 keyword2 etc.
I find using this method with google to search through the forums returns better results.

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:45 pm

Hi.

I have heard here and there about searches run directly with Google. I tried your suggestion with:
No matter how I work that string, such as quoting, er, "Holgate", I get a notice that the page could not be found. In other words, the contents of the page do not seem to be searched, only a page of that name. I guess.

But in the standard or advanced search tools in the forum itself I get results right away.

Craig

ghettocottage

Post by ghettocottage » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:50 pm

bogs

Post by bogs » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:39 pm

As ghettocottage pointed out (and I have put in these forums myself more than once), the formula to search from *almost any* {not just google} search engine is going to be -
site:url <space> search term
I'm sure you see your mistake at the moment Craig, and why you got the results you did, by doing the search like it was an address, but I'm just as sure that someone will come along a while from now and do the same thing you did, so hopefully this helps out those people.

Now I will include this handy graphic -
aPic_searchEngineForumSearch.png
In days of olde....
..., followed by some search engines that are not Google but that do respect your privacy such as
http://duckduckgo.com/ - includes "!bangs", which let you search using other engines if you really want to. I don't use those much.

https://lite.qwant.com - this is the 'lite' version of Quwant.com that I use, the full version is a little heavy for my taste but you really should decide for yourself.

https://www.startpage.com - There used to be two sites like this, the other was lxquick, however far as I know, this is the one remaining version. Billed as "Google results without the privacy issues".

As to the OP, I'm not sure what to say there. I don't have Mojave to test with, but with 10.6.8 Snow Leopard and Safari, I certainly see the search without being logged in.
aPic_ForumSearchMissingOrNot.png
A little old and slow, but still functioning....
I've never accessed the forums from this machine previously, and so have never signed in from it. I would suspect that means it has no cookies or other method of knowing who I iz, so I can only assume this is how it would be seen universally.

5imon

Post by 5imon » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:51 pm

bogs wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:39 pm
As to the OP, I'm not sure what to say there. I don't have Mojave to test with, but with 10.6.8 Snow Leopard and Safari, I certainly see the search without being logged in.
I see the search when logged out, but it disappears when logged in. Safari and Firefox.

Anyhow, I already setup a bookmark to use the Google search method listed above, it works great.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”