Open Source vs. Closed

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, kevinmiller

egolombek

Open Source vs. Closed

Post by egolombek » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:12 pm

So, a real newbie question...

I understand that Community Edition is for open source code, and Indy will protect code. But... I don't exactly understand what this means. Let's say I compile a project in Community Edition. How would someone then view my code?

Thanks!

SparkOut

Re: Open Source vs. Closed

Post by SparkOut » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:25 pm

I am not any kind of authority on this subject and not even sure, but I *think* the salient points are
1) The licence terms of the GPL version mean that you have to make the source code available - IIUC make it available means either bundle with the supplied software (in essence an unprotected stack) or, within the supplied software, at least direct users to its availability in copyright and "about" sections, eg to download on demand and specify the location.
2) The licence terms of the GPL version mean that you have to have content in the supplied software (eg copyright and "about" sections) that explains the licence terms to another user and require the same of them.

But someone with more awareness and understanding will hopefully chime in.

anmldr

Post by anmldr » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:45 pm

I think that your answer is correct. However, as a person that would like to view a lot of the apps that are created with the Community version of LC, there is no way to know what apps on the App Store or Google Play were created with LC...or those for Windows, Mac OS, Linux, etc.

It would be nice if there was a "place" to list your app as "Created with LC Community Version" so that we would know that it is OK to ask for their code. It would be a great way to learn.

Linda

AxWald

Post by AxWald » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:35 pm

Hi,
egolombek wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:12 pm
I don't exactly understand what this means. Let's say I compile a project in Community Edition. How would someone then view my code?
Quick answer: Not at all, if you don't provide the source code. Compiled stacks (= StandAlones, as well as included substacks) always are binary files & thus not easily readable.
But using the community version your code MUST be under GPL v3, and this means you MUST provide the source code, in a suitable form.

What's meant here is, IMHO:
In the commercial versions there's an option that password-encrypts normal stacks (<> compiled StandAlones!) - these are simple text files else that everyone can read, even w/o having LC installed. This is the mentioned "protect code" feature.

Have fun!
Livecode programming until the cat hits the fan ...

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”