Why Script-only stacks?

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Why Script-only stacks?

Post by richmond62 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:04 pm

FourthWorld wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:53 pm
Why do we have three separate threads all discussing the basic mechanics of getting started with SoS?

Should I merge them?
Not such a bad idea. 8)

bogs

Re: Finally facing a script-only stack

Post by bogs » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:06 pm

richmond62 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:57 pm
Funnily enough, my keyboard has only 2 ENTER keys; but as you use the word 'most' you obviously have more.
For a guy whose thing is languages, you certainly come up with some interesting interpretations some times. Even I was able to get that they are talking about the key on the numpad :roll:

Btw foosmaster, you can apply the script just by holding the ctrl. key and hitting the regular enter (not sure if you knew that or not) :wink:
Last edited by bogs on Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foosmaster

Post by foosmaster » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:08 pm

FourthWorld wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:52 pm
For #2, I'm assuming you're seeing that on Windows, yes?
yes, I am on windows 10, it's dog slow, not feasible to work at all this way - reminds me of the bad days of eclipse some 15 years ago
plus the lack of code complete - and the total confusion of lack of "project/solution' file that contains all relevant stacks really throw me away from the IDE as much as possible

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:10 pm

You could, of course, move your development over onto Linux . . .

foosmaster

Re: Stacks scripts only

Post by foosmaster » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:12 pm

no idea, it got there, I deleted it ...
I still get the errors of 'stack already opened'
I have to close and remove from memory before I compile to exe - this gives me 1-3 error messages, otherwise I just kill LC after about 10

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:13 pm

foosmaster wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:08 pm
FourthWorld wrote:
yes, I am on windows 10, it's dog slow, not feasible to work at all this way - reminds me of the bad days of eclipse some 15 years ago
plus the lack of code complete - and the total confusion of lack of "project/solution' file that contains all relevant stacks really throw me away from the IDE as much as possible
The save fix is coming ASAP.

The "project/solution" bit intrigues me: can you describe how it differs from a stack file containing all of the stacks your project uses?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

jacque

Post by jacque » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:15 pm

My half-baked theory: When LC builds a standalone, it closes the stack, makes a copy, does its work, and reopens the stack. It may be getting confused because the destination for the standalone is on another drive, and after reopening "main" it is opening the copy instead of the original. The copy would have the dialogs and cursors in it, so you're getting duplicate stack errors.

I don't know much about what happens under the hood, but try building the executable on the same drive as the mainstack. Relaunch LC first to be sure nothing is in memory, clean out the extra inclusions, and then do a build.

If that works then there's a reportable bug.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

foosmaster

Post by foosmaster » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:22 pm

FourthWorld wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:13 pm
foosmaster wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:08 pm
FourthWorld wrote:
The save is coming ASAP.

The "project/solution" bit intrigues me: can you describe how it differs from a stack file containing all of the stacks your project uses?
sure, this is my current state:
stack whist - my main stack that is binary and mostly empty of code (holds images, the GUI and not much more)
stack GuiController - handles events from controls (mouseUp, onOpen) and updating the GUI when an event happens that requires this
stack WsController - holds my web services integration (calling the WS, long polling for events and sending them back to the GuiController)

so .. I have 3 files that are required to build/run my code, whist.livecode, Gui.livecodescript, WSController.livecodescript

in Visual Studio (as an example) I'd have an additional file called whist.sln which holds references to these 3 files.
Eclipse - as another example (if i am not mistaken) has a .project file that does the same

it seems that in LC I have to create these dependency in code - not too bad - except that I get build errors since I put these

Code: Select all

on openStack
   open stack "WsController"
   open stack "GuiController"
   start using "WsController"   
   start using "GuiController"   
end openStack
in my whist.livecode file - I suspect it tries to reopen my already opened stacks and goes crazy, the code resides in drive Z:, building into drive C:, getting this error
a Stack with th same name as the one you are trying to load is already open.
before loading C:/dev/x/whist.livecode, what do you want to do with the stack Z:/dev/x/whist.livecode

foosmaster

Post by foosmaster » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:23 pm

you can lock any thread you'd like :)
I am good with that

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:31 pm

For a guy whose thing is languages, you certainly come up with some interesting interpretations some times. Even I was able to get that they are talking about the key on the numpad
Just having a dig at the poster's grammar: after 4 hours of online shenanigans with kiddos I normally feel reasonably bitchy. 8)

bogs

Post by bogs » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:22 pm

foosmaster wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:00 pm
I can't seem to attach images here, any reason ?
I suppose that would depend on how you are trying to attach them, you are certainly over the 10 post beginning requirement. The easiest way to attach a picture, provided it isn't overly large, is to simply drag it to where you are typing your post. You should see a [+] sign show up, drop the picture, then click 'Place Inline".

Alternately and only slightly more complicated, you can click on "Attachments" below the editor dialog, browse to the picture, and upload it that way.

Just keep in mind, there are size limits using this method, if your pictures are larger than those limits, you can upload them to any free picture hosting site, such as PostImage and the like, get the link to the picture from there, click on the insert image button above the editor, and post the link between the img tags, like this:

Code: Select all

[img]http://myPicture.jpg[/img]

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:31 pm

foosmaster wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:23 pm
you can lock any thread you'd like :)
I am good with that
Thanks, but just as easy to merge them, and it keeps everything in one place with no dead ends - now done.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

jacque

Post by jacque » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:26 pm

I wish there was a way to reload a stack script updated outside LC
Look at the revert command, it just means "reload from disk". I sometimes work on the same stack in two different versions of LC (don't ask, not recommended unless you're very very careful) and when I switch to the other version I type "revert" into the message box and it updates.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:27 pm

Ooh. Nifty.
Sounds like a PR to add a synonym, reload...

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:55 pm

That is NEAT! < Tucking that one away in the 'Tips learned from Jacque' file...>

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”