Storing information online

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, kevinmiller

Opaquer

Storing information online

Post by Opaquer » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:25 pm

Hey guys

I'm working through with my sudoku app and I've been making some great progress with it! One of the main things I want though is the ability to share user made sudokus, and I'm struggling with figuring out how to do it. I think I was to store a 4 digit seed online, which my app can then access when needed and read a single line of text from it, which will give it everything needed for the sudoku. I've got the importing bit working, but not the storing it online yet. The only problem is I've not really done anything like this and have no idea how it works.

I know LC can handle Dropbox support and I've used that in the past, but I was wondering if there was any other way it can be done if I don't have a website to upload things to?

Thanks in advanced!

JackieBlue1970

Re: Storing information online

Post by JackieBlue1970 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:35 am

I am new to live code but this is more of a programming issue so I feel better about answering it. In my opinion, I’d just store the required information in a hosted database. You could find cheap hosting and create a MySQL database to hold the data. You are not talking large amounts of data so need to worry about data caps. Hell, you could setup a dB on a raspberry pi and run it there, although your isp might not like it.

Opaquer

Post by Opaquer » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:00 am

The problem is I've never done this before and have no idea how to :-P. Also at the moment I'm only planning on releasing this to a few friends, nothing major, so I don't really want to have to pay for it. Also I don't have a raspberry pi or anything like that :-(

Lagi Pittas
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Lagi Pittas » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:23 pm

Hi

https://infinityfree.net/

That solves one of your problems

Includes Mysql - free subdomain php and softaculous scriptinstallation.
Would'nt use them for anything "important" but looks good for "playing" - I haven't used them
just looked up best free webhosting

Regards Lagi

Opaquer

Post by Opaquer » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:01 pm

Sweet, so now that I can get a website, what's the next step? Like I said I've never done this before and have no idea how it works? Do I need to do anything special with it?

AxWald

Post by AxWald » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:28 pm

Hi,
Lagi Pittas wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:23 pm
https://infinityfree.net/
That solves one of your problems
Includes Mysql - free subdomain php and softaculous scriptinstallation. [...]
Careful! I just had a look & found this: You cannot connect to a free hosting MySQL database from outside your hosting account.
You'll not be able to use this from LC directly (w/o creating a php middleware first). :/

Have fun!
Livecode programming until the cat hits the fan ...

Lagi Pittas

Post by Lagi Pittas » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:33 pm

Hi,

You beat me to it ...

I just created an account for myself and recorded me setting up a mysql database - got to the part called "remote sql" - I.e. access from an external computer/server - and we need a premium account. The cheapest is $6 a month and there are cheaper ones at a pound a month paid a year upfront - so this will not do.

Don't have time to see if you can "login" to an ftp account on here and just save your information as text files

Regards Lagi

p.s.

And the middleware would be another hurdle to jump over ... :(

Lagi Pittas

Post by Lagi Pittas » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:40 pm

Hi OPaquer,

If you buy a domain , I can set up an account on my VPS for free.

Goddady are selling domains at 99c for the first year at the moment.

Regards Lagi

JackieBlue1970

Post by JackieBlue1970 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:15 pm

Opaquer wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:00 am
The problem is I've never done this before and have no idea how to :-P. Also at the moment I'm only planning on releasing this to a few friends, nothing major, so I don't really want to have to pay for it. Also I don't have a raspberry pi or anything like that :-(
Need to get acquainted with using and working with databases. You can download MySQL (or other open source DB) and install it locally. Install the tools and such with it. Follow a tutorial to create a basic database. Then experiment with LC to connect and access the data - inserts, updates, deletes. LC makes it quite easy - I've only used live code a couple of weeks and have had no issues.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:06 pm

Opaquer wrote:
The problem is I've never done this before and have no idea how to :-P. Also at the moment I'm only planning on releasing this to a few friends, nothing major, so I don't really want to have to pay for it.
If you've used Dropbox before with success, maybe just go for that.

That wouldn't be a good choice for a published app, but for something only a small number of people will use and where the data size is small it may be good enough, keeping things simple and small and, hopefully, fun.
Also I don't have a raspberry pi or anything like that :-(
Probably just as well. Handling DNS, firewall, and other issues on a home-based server is a lot of work. Fun if you're into that sort of thing, but rented infrastructure like a VPS is often easier to work with. And in your case it may be overkill to set up and maintain your own server just for small data among a small audience, regardless where the server lives.
Richard Gaskin
Community volunteer LiveCode Community Liaison

LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems: http://FourthWorld.com
LiveCode User Group on Facebook : http://FaceBook.com/groups/LiveCodeUsers/

Opaquer

Post by Opaquer » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:53 pm

JackieBlue1970 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:15 pm
Opaquer wrote:
Need to get acquainted with using and working with databases. You can download MySQL (or other open source DB) and install it locally. Install the tools and such with it. Follow a tutorial to create a basic database. Then experiment with LC to connect and access the data - inserts, updates, deletes. LC makes it quite easy - I've only used live code a couple of weeks and have had no issues.
Right, so with MySQL I can have a local database that LC can have access to over the Internet, but I'll have to leave my computer on for it to be accessed?

As much as I didn't want to use Dropbox, I can't think of any other free ways of doing it, though I'll keep looking at some paid options since they aren't crazy expensive. I guess I'll see how I go with it :-)

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:01 pm

Opaquer wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:53 pm
Right, so with MySQL I can have a local database that LC can have access to over the Internet, but I'll have to leave my computer on for it to be accessed?
And you probably don't want to expose the full power of SQL's rich scripting language directly to the open Internet. And you'd have to work out the DNS. And the firewall reconfig. In addition to leaving your computer on.

As much as I didn't want to use Dropbox, I can't think of any other free ways of doing it, though I'll keep looking at some paid options since they aren't crazy expensive. I guess I'll see how I go with it :-)
[/quote]
For sharing with friends, if Dropbox works for what you need why not use it?

Keep it simple. Have fun.
Richard Gaskin
Community volunteer LiveCode Community Liaison

LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems: http://FourthWorld.com
LiveCode User Group on Facebook : http://FaceBook.com/groups/LiveCodeUsers/

Opaquer

Post by Opaquer » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:24 pm

I've only touched on Dropbox a little - I was just a little worried about how it'll handle the calls and how I'll make it work nicely. I have an idea, but I need to do some research into it and see how it goes :-)

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:29 pm

Dropbox is in the end just a folder on your harddrive!

And reading and writing something to a file in a folder is something you should be familiar with! 8)

Dropbox does the syncing with all other Dropbox users you may have shared a folder with.
And this is usually very fast, especially with small files! Well, that's it basically. :-)

I have used this successfully in the past!

Opaquer

Post by Opaquer » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:06 pm

Even though its a folder on my HDD, I can still access it without giving permission to people to using LC? And even if my computer isn't on, I can still upload to Dropbox and edit things as needed :-)

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”