Data Grid Form

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

Quinton B.

Data Grid Form

Post by Quinton B. » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:46 pm

Hello, I've been trying to make a data grid form that will have 1 to 2 boxes in each row that will direct you to separate cards, or a field that you will enter info into, to break it down barney style I'm making a register page that can also be used as a scrolling field for quick access. I've been using the data grid helper in conjunction with the LiveCode website and the lessons book and still can't get this to work. Your help would greatly be appreciated.
Attachments
Capture.PNG

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Data Grid Form

Post by dunbarx » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:18 am

Hi.

Is there any reason beyond displaying these "icons" that you need a dataGrid? It is only that DG's are complex, and have their own learning curve beyond LC itself.

If you have other plans for the DG, then fine. If this is an exercise to learn the DG, then fine.

But if the DG is only being used to display those images so the user can click on them, run, do not walk, to another one of several much simpler methods.

So, which way?

Craig Newman

Quinton B.

Post by Quinton B. » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:29 pm

It will be used as a scrolling form for users to quick navigation amongst the application, there will be more buttons than this.

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:58 pm

Hi.

Then I repeat,
If you have other plans for the DG, then fine. If this is an exercise to learn the DG, then fine.

But if the DG is only being used to display those images so the user can click on them, run, do not walk, to another one of several much simpler methods.
I rephrase:
Unless you want to practice using dataGrids simply for the sake of learning dataGrids, which has its own merit, you will move much faster with other methods, and lose nothing regarding functionality.

So, which way? Have you experimented with placing multiple images in a group, and scrolling the group? You actually will have more control on overall appearance than if you are confined to a DG

Craig

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:18 pm

Use those icons as fake buttons inside a scrolling group.
-
Screenshot 2019-04-23 at 0.39.29.png
-
Interface.livecode.zip
Here's the stack.
(106.25 KiB) Downloaded 136 times

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”