Creating a DDL using LiveCode - is it possible?

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

Bruce27

Creating a DDL using LiveCode - is it possible?

Post by Bruce27 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:10 am

I would like to know whether it is possible to use LiveCode to create a DDL (for Windows) that can be accessed from another application. The DDL I have in mind would need to to some elementary database access using ODBC drivers.

If LiveCode can't do it, I can probably do it in Delphi or Lazarus, but I think it would be much easier in LiveCode, if that is possible.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Bruce

Klaus

Re: Creating a DDL using LiveCode - is it possible?

Post by Klaus » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:34 am

Hi Bruce,

I don't think this is possible with LC.

Best

Klaus

Bruce27

Post by Bruce27 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:22 pm

Thanks for your reply, Klaus.

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:59 pm

Hello Bruce27,
Assuming you mean a dll (dynamic linked library), I believe the answer as Klaus says is 'no', which he further elucidates upon here.

However, you could use Lc to create a program that other programs can access, providing the language you are calling from provides a means to execute programs outside of itself (almost all languages can do this).

Of course, if your going to use Lc for that kind of functionality, why not just use it to write the entire program?

If you really need to be able to create a dll, though, you don't have to drop all the way to C level, you can do that in languages like Pascal/Delphi, some basics, etc.

As I think about it, it might be possible to create a dll from Lc itself in a roundabout way, since you do have access to the shell and can run commands through it. If you knew all the things you would need to know about making one in C, you could create the file and format everything in Lc, then shell out to the linker and compile it.

Something to think about :roll:

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”