Standalone with SQLite and Mac

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

cbarbal

Re: Standalone with SQLite and Mac

Post by cbarbal » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:25 am

Hi bogs,

Klaus refers to this report :D

https://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31904

Regards,

Carles

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:30 am

Yes, "revreportsetup.rev" is just a very very basic easy-peasy-ny-teenie-version of what Carles needs! :-D

bogs

Post by bogs » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:13 pm

<Channeling the Beatles, {alterd to avoid copyright or piracy claims}...(and to change speaker perspective :P )>
I say yes, you say no.
You say stop, and I say go go go...
Ahem.

Mkay, I don't think I would compare the report stack to say, Crystal Reports™ or even to Quartum™ (nice thread here, and here, last link includes a link to a lesson on the topic btw), *but* I think it is as Klaus put it, a "very very basic easy-peasy-ny-teenie-version" way to give you a head start towards the end goal.

For instance, your picture shows tabs for picking headers and footers. It can do that...
Report Builder_002.png
A foot to the head?
You can also pick several ways to decide what to print...
Report Builder_004.png
Cards for all occaisions...
And even get a leg up on the coding you'll have to add if you decided to roll your own...
Report Builder_005.png
Copy and paste, copy and paste...
Would that take you all the way there? Maybe, maybe no, depending on how much of the setup you take care of in advance.

Is it worth looking at? Up to you, I just make suggestions about things I found helpful, if you use (or not) those suggestions, that is up to you, and I sure wouldn't suggest the same for Klaus, since he would neither need or have any use for it, being the grand ol wiz'rd of Lc that he is. I'm sure by now he has written (many) of his own report setups :D

I'll also say it really isn't that hard to roll your own, I just think this was a neat shortcut when I found it.

*Edit - some additional thing I came across...
http://livecodeaddons.com/wordreport/

cbarbal

Post by cbarbal » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:05 pm

Hi bogs,

They are not tabs are labels. When you create a layout (card) in FM it creates by default a header, a body and a footer, you can add other parts. They are part of the same layout.

The Quartam Reports page is not updated since 2013. It talks about the next 2.0 version, 5 years have passed and the last one is the 1.6
WordReport allows you to prepare templates in MS Word (.docx) or OpenOffice (.odt)
It's not for me.

The images that it puts of that application are?

Regards,

Carles

bogs

Post by bogs » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:10 pm

I could delve into displaying my gross ignorance of anything to do with FM, since I have never used it, but I'll pass on that for now :D

Jan's product Quartum *is* downloadable as a free trial -
http://users.telenet.be/quartam/reports/download.html
These packages contain the full distribution of Quartam Reports. However, until you unlock them with your license key, they will work in Evaluation mode - which means that printing reports will display reminder messages and all created documents will contain a watermark - and the layout builder will refuse to function after 30 days.

Also be aware that the Evaluation mode offers all the options of the Professional Edition. Make sure to check the feature comparison of the Standard and Professional Editions before placing your order.
Since there is no charge to try it, I thought it *may* be worth your time looking it over. After all, if it does what you need it to, it is a ready made solution.

Not sure I understood the last part about WordReport, other than you don't care for it heh.

cbarbal

Post by cbarbal » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:56 am

Hi bogs,

First of all thank you for your help. For my Quartam it is something that does not have any kind of support. If you try to buy this message comes out.
Unable to complete your request...

The Quartam product line is not available through the eSellerate system.
For more information, please contact Quartam.
It is not worth investing time in something that you can not buy, it is my personal opinion. I already have experience in FileMaker plugins that disappears the person who did it. The creator of Quartam has either retired or simply does not compensate him for devoting his time.

WordReport allows you to prepare templates in MS Word (.docx) or OpenOffice (.odt). I do not want any Word or OpenOffice template, I do not use these programs.

Regards,

Carles

bogs

Post by bogs » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:08 pm

Ah, my apologies, I should have looked further into Jan's setup, as I was unaware that he was no longer reachable through that site. It is kind of a pity imho.

Gotcha on WordReport.

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:33 pm

LiveCode provides all the features you need to create any kind of report, but as a development tool it requires that you build and script the report yourself. I've created complex reports of many types. It does take time but anything is possible.

The basic work flow:
  • Create a card in a substack that will be used as a template for the report. Lay out and name all the fields, images, and anything else you need exactly as you want them to print.
  • Pull your data from the source (database, card fields, text document, whatever) one page at a time and populate the fields or images in the template with the data.
  • Open printing.
  • Print the card.
  • Repeat for each page until the data has all been printed.
  • Close printing.
There are details you can ask us about as you learn but those are the basics.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

cbarbal

Post by cbarbal » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:02 pm

Hi jacque,

It's what I had thought, create a substack with the measurements of an A4 portrait. Create a series of groups that were visible or not depending on whether it is a record, is the total of the property or the grand total.

Thanks for the advice

Carles

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”