Unexpected behaviour

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

Lagi Pittas
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Unexpected behaviour

Post by Lagi Pittas » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:51 am

Hi Axwald,

I have implemented systems using LC to check on changes - as in additions.It worked perfectly except you adjust the send in time so its not instantaneous but not too long.

The API way though allows checking for size changes , deletions , modification date changes , deletion and addition of files etc - ALL in realtime if time is very critical.

I think a widget using sockets as a callback mechanism would really be useful as a good example of widgets - where are the thousand widgets by Christmas (2016?).

Lagi

ajperks

Post by ajperks » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:00 pm

I thank you kind and knowledgeable people for your explanation. However, it is fair to say that I don't know what I am doing and the jargon like sockets and widget etc. but the project is up and running nicely.
I used a bit of timer code that I popped into a strange sort of database project I did years ago. Then it kicked off a time related refresh when the stack was idle. So the problem of the constant looping was solved that way.

I am a long way from multiple users but not far off from bombarding the system with computer generated data to see what breaks.

I am about to explore and embed images in text fields followed by metadata.
Most processing and sorting will be on the app, not the server, because the user won't notice the time it takes. I hope.
Because of space requirements on a mobile, I plan to call data as required, rather than whole chunks.
The bottleneck will be the server I expect. I developed the app so it works in geographical regions to reduce the data flow. Each region will have its own server and the ability, I hope, to cross link with other regions. Well, that is the plan, anyway.

Jacque has reinforced my belief that the timing device to do away with eternal loops is the way to go. Thanks for that.

ajperks

Post by ajperks » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:03 pm

I thank you kind and knowledgeable people for your explanation. However, it is fair to say that I don't know what I am doing and the jargon like sockets and widget etc.is over my head. But none-the-less, the bare bones project is up and running nicely.
I used a bit of timer code that I popped into a strange sort of database project I did years ago. Then it kicked off a time related refresh when the stack was idle. So the problem of the constant looping was solved that way.

I am a long way from multiple users but not far off from bombarding the system with computer generated data to see what breaks.

I am about to explore and embed images in text fields followed by metadata.
Most processing and sorting will be on the app, not the server, because the user won't notice the time it takes. I hope.
Because of space requirements on a mobile, I plan to call data as required, rather than whole chunks.
The bottleneck will be the server I expect. I developed the app so it works in geographical regions to reduce the data flow. Each region will have its own server and the ability, I hope, to cross link with other regions. Well, that is the plan, anyway.

Jacque has reinforced my belief that the timing device to do away with eternal loops is the way to go. Thanks for that.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”