learn transcript

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

markboston34

learn transcript

Post by markboston34 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:42 pm

Ok I know livecode has some great resources on its site but im wondering if there are books or websites that will teach transcript? also I hate generic names especially when you try googling.

ClipArtGuy

Re: learn transcript

Post by ClipArtGuy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:47 pm

Here are a few links that should get you started

http://livecode.byu.edu/indexgeneric.php --Great intro to LiveCode course, the basis of "LiveCode university"

http://www.hyperactivesw.com/revscriptc ... ences.html --Scripting conference stacks, somewhat dated but still relevant.

https://sites.google.com/a/pgcps.org/livecode/home --Learning to Program by Creating Games, Apps and Programs

http://livecode.wikia.com/wiki/Livecode_Wiki --LiveCode wiki

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:01 pm

I don't think the LiveCode language is called 'Transcript' any more: as far as I know, last time
I looked, it was called . . . wait for it, wait for it . . . 'LiveCode'.
-
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BlushingEdibl ... ricted.gif
-
And using a search engine to look for 'transcript' will give you an enormous headache.

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:12 pm

markboston34 wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:42 pm
...im wondering if there are books or websites that will teach transcript?
There are a great many supplemental resources out there. To find the best fit for where you are, it'll be helpful to know a bit about what you've read so far.

How much of the 649-page User Guide included with the LiveCode installation have you read?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:35 am

More important. What, if anything, have you done already? Have you made any sort of gadget, large or small/

Craig Newman

markboston34

Post by markboston34 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:10 pm

ive done nothing with livecode. total beginner. guess I get started with the user guide.

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:43 pm

Start with the Scripting Conferences mentioned above, in conjunction with the user guide and dictionary. They (the Conferences) were definitely my best introduction, and although old, they have been slightly refreshed and in any event are still relevant, especially for a beginner.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:52 pm

You can always wander over here for elementary stuff:

https://www.facebook.com/RMLCclasses/

jacque

Post by jacque » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:15 pm

You know, I haven't read the language section of the user guide. I just scanned it and it's a pretty good summary of how the language works. There are some typographical errors and omissions that might cause beginners a problem but basically it's well done.

I agree, try the scripting conferences and the language section of the user guide. Then hit us up for Q&A here in the forums. It takes a little time to get into the full swing of things but LC is far easier than some other languages.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

capellan

Post by capellan » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:19 pm

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:45 am

Make a simple stack. An address book or some sort of calculator, perhaps one that changes dollars to pesos or metric to English values.

You will have to learn a little bit, of course, to even start, but while you are reading you must also try building. Write to this forum constantly. You might start with "How do I make a new stack"?

We don't care how elementary your questions or how often you ask them.

Craig
Last edited by dunbarx on Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bogs

Post by bogs » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:22 am

That is a pretty impressive list of places, and already nailed many of my own favorite suggestions. Here are a few I did not see listed though.

Livecode Tutorial -
...Learn Livecode: the Easiest, Most Productive Multi-Platform Development Tool
...By: Nick Antonaccio

Not sure how much this is used in the newer IDEs, or how much longer it will be available for download, but if your into USB and sensors you might take a look at the Phidgets LiveCode API Manual -
...How to use Phidgets*
Phidgets are an easy to use set of building blocks for low cost sensing and control
from your PC. Using the Universal Serial Bus (USB) as the basis for all Phidgets,
the complexity is managed behind this easy to use and robust Application Program
Interface (API) library.

Cyril's 2nd version of learning Lc which is lighter than his pgcps site but a little more focused.

There is also a e-book called Livecode lite: Computer Programming Made Ridiculously Simple which is worth a glance, but it is not an in-depth view like Mark Schonewille's book, Programming Livecode for the Real Beginner.

Lastly, although this is a bit dated I've found it invaluable to me. This is the link to the Metacard help index I separated from the OSS version of the IDE a while back. Aside from being a handy reference, it includes 3 tutorials of the type Craig mentioned above that still apply even after all these years. It can be used either as a stack opened in Lc, or as a standalone opened outside of Lc.

---------------
* I think at one point Richmond was wondering about USB, I came across this pdf a while after that discussion.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:38 am

I think at one point
At several points over the last 12-14 years.

Thank you very much indeed.

bogs

Post by bogs » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:43 am

Hopefully it will help, I lost track of the actual thread I meant to put it into :?

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”