Tools Palette likes to disappear

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, kevinmiller

bsnipes

Tools Palette likes to disappear

Post by bsnipes » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:54 am

I am using LiveCode on ArchLinux (Plasma) and on Windows 7 Pro x64. On Arch, the tools palette hides itself constantly. For instance, if I pop open the code or inspector dialogs, there is a 50% chance that the Tools palette will go away. Then I have to go to Tools->Project Browser or Message Box or some other random menu item for it to reappear. It is still checked as being available in the menu items but I don't believe unchecking and rechecking Tools Palette does anything (I am not at the Linux desktop right now but do recall testing that).

On Windows 7, it is much less frequent but happens from time to time. On Windows, you can see it disappear by opening a new stack, choosing File->Save and hit Cancel. In Windows it does reappear when clicking anywhere but why does it disappear in the first place when the stack window doesn't? I have only ever used 9.0 and now 9.0.1 and the issue exists in both. Has this behavior always been in the IDE?

I have noticed on Windows if I reset all preferences to default, the grey background that fills the entire screen goes away (makes it look like GIMP before single-window mode) and then the Tools Palette is always visible. When I restart LiveCode the huge grey background is back and so is the palette issue.

Is there some trick I am missing to make it stay always visible?

Edit- I am on 9.0.1 on Linux and 9.0.0 on Windows.

ghettocottage
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Tools Palette likes to disappear

Post by ghettocottage » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:35 pm

I use Ubuntu 18.04, and Livecode 9. My DE is Kubuntu Desktop.

After much dinkering, I found that if I dedicate a single Virtual Desktop to Livecode, and have the backdrop enabled, then my tool-bar does not disappear and everything works fine.

Plus, it is sort of nice having my all my LC stuff isolated to that desktop.

bogs

Post by bogs » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:09 pm

bsnipes wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:54 am
... I have noticed on Windows if I reset all preferences to default, the grey background that fills the entire screen goes away (makes it look like GIMP before single-window mode) and then the Tools Palette is always visible. When I restart LiveCode the huge grey background is back and so is the palette issue.
I think your issue is having the backdrop up, and the tools palette goes behind it during one of those events.

Couple of things to test that theory out.
..1. go to the 'view' menu and turn off the backdrop. You mentioned when it is off you no longer loose the tools palette, so this would be the primary solution.
..2. when you loose the tool palette, alt + tab until it pops up from behind the backdrop. Depending on how your DE displays the icons, it will be easy or hard to tell when you've reached it.

Me, I always turn off the backdrop. It was off by default in earlier versions, and I find it more a distraction than a help after trying it for a week.

ghettocottage

Post by ghettocottage » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:12 pm

My experience is that if you have other applications open in the same desktop, then focusing gets confused and the tool palette will start vanishing.

I run into this if I have the backdrop on or off.

Having a Virtual Desktop with only Livecode open and the backdrop on seems to solve it.

As soon as I open any other application in that desktop, the tool palette is gone.

bsnipes

Post by bsnipes » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:19 am

Thanks all. I will try it with the backdrop disabled and on a separate desktop on Linux. It was driving me NUTS!

wsamples
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by wsamples » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:33 am

There is some discussion of this issue in this thread:

http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=31398

I run Antergos (based on Arch) with Plasma and have this problem. It happens on every distro I've tested with Plasma. There are worse problems on some (but not all) distros running Xfce, including Antergos. Cinnamon on Antergos runs without issue. Keeping the backdrop up makes the problem much less frequent. Depending on usage, you might not see it ever with the backdrop but it can return when running certain plugins and/or with a lot of stacks open. The problem was introduced in LC 9, and does not occur in any previous versions. Good luck!

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”