system date format

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

SparkOut

Re: system date format

Post by SparkOut » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:46 am

But LiveCode is a cross platform tool, and I didn't want to have new Windows users feel like it's not really for them because either the community seems exclusive if you're not a Mac fan, or that they might get the impression that issues are not important because "that's just a Windows thing".

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:53 pm

Y'all do know that there are other problems calculating really old dates, right? It isn't just a linear process. For example, depending on what country your calculating for, there could be a huge discrepancy (up to 13 or more days) when the switch was made from Julian to Gregory for date marking, and that is only one calendaring system of many used.

About the windows thing, other than rolling your own (not a limitation by the way just for Lc), I don't see how you'd get around it. There are what, 5 apis to choose from to calculate date/time in Windows?

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:39 pm

SparkOut wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:46 am
But LiveCode is a cross platform tool, and I didn't want to have new Windows users feel like it's not really for them because either the community seems exclusive if you're not a Mac fan, or that they might get the impression that issues are not important because "that's just a Windows thing".
Agreed: if we can correct for the platform difference in script, the engine should be able to as well

What's the bug report number for this?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:11 pm

https://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4941

It's been referred to in this forum before (including by yourself - see below). There are some other more specific date related bugs but this is the general one. It hasn't been addressed for many years. I know date management is not trivial but really, this causes an ERROR if you try to check "is a date" before 1970. Surely "It's a Windows thing" isn't the answer.

http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.ph ... 92#p136492

http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.ph ... 18#p124218

mrcoollion

Post by mrcoollion » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:14 am

I love it (Windows) :D . But like with any OS it is not without is faults. :shock:

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:49 pm

SparkOut wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:11 pm
... this causes an ERROR if you try to check "is a date" before 1970. Surely "It's a Windows thing" isn't the answer.
I dunno, if it walks like a duck, quacks, has feathers, a bill, spends a lot of time in the water, at some point you might consider that what you have there isn't a poodle Image

Of course, that doesn't mean you can't get some fur and glue it to a duck to make it look more like a poodle :wink:

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:50 pm

I don't understand your point.

Mine is that there are lots of Windows users. LiveCode is cross platform. It is not a good idea for a significant potential clientbase to get the impression that the response to problems relating to Windows is "not to use Windows because nobody likes it."

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:27 pm

My point was that it "is" a windows thing, sufficiently documented in plenty of other creation software such as databases, other languages, and in some of Ms's own languages, hence it is a 'duck'.

My second point was that (as many of those linked topics show) there are ways to work around it, using Lc or any other language isn't likely to stop you from having to work around it, and if this "significant potential clientbase" is going to use (or not) Lc due to it, they will I assume not be a client base for any other programming language that has this issue *solely* because of how MS designed their OS.
SparkOut wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:50 pm
...the impression that the response to problems relating to Windows is "not to use Windows because nobody likes it."
You are the only one I heard say that exactly that way. I used (and supported) windows based systems for years, I have no beef with Ms despite my not using their os today, anymore than I have a beef with chevy or ford if I drive a dodge.

Windows suited my flow for those years, 'nix suits it better now, and while I don't agree with a whole lot Ms does these days, it doesn't take away from my feeling that they contributed more to bringing about the desktop computer revolution (from the main frames we used to deal with) than almost anyone else.

That aside, I don't see it as someone else's job to fix a (perceived) shortcoming in their OS. If you feel like thats a knock, well, I'm certainly sorry you feel that way, but I'm not going to try to spray sunshine up your backside either.

**ALL of the above is an *opinion* solely credited to the author of it and is not intended to reflect on any other entity, corporate or consumer, or any non-human, bigger than a bread box or not.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:01 pm

SparkOut wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:50 pm
I don't understand your point.

Mine is that there are lots of Windows users. LiveCode is cross platform. It is not a good idea for a significant potential clientbase to get the impression that the response to problems relating to Windows is "not to use Windows because nobody likes it."
Thankfully, no one's saying that. Your conflation of the two issues was already addressed here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31540#p171777

Everyone knows Windows is the most important desktop platform, and no one has said otherwise.

The issue has been reported, and has been confirmed. It's now in the hands of the engine team.

I'm not sure what you expect the readers of this forum to do.

Without guidance and with nothing we can do on the issue, we've been having fun. If you'd like us to do something else please let us know what that is.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”