text properties buggy [LC 9.0]

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

ittarter

text properties buggy [LC 9.0]

Post by ittarter » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:02 am

Hi guys,

Using 9.0 (always risky, I know) and as others have already discussed, fonts were changed. I'm using Windows 10.

In my app (started back pre-9.0) default objects from the Tools Palette have italic fontstyle.

In fact, the problem is larger, going into the Property Inspector, I can't turn off italic fontstyle! If I click the italic icon the graphic of the icon doesn't even change - it stays blue (highlighted).

I can manually SET the fontstyle of an object to "plain" but if I set it to empty, guess what, it's italic.

Sometimes when I try to change the font or the textsize of an object using the Property Inspector, that doesn't work either.

If I create a new master stack, I don't see the same problems, so there must be some wonky theme or default setting somewhere that wasn't correctly converted.

As a side note, I'd like to know how to set the default properties of objects created using the Tools Palette.

Thanks in advance!

jmburnod
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: text properties buggy [LC 9.0]

Post by jmburnod » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:26 am

Hi ittarter,
fontstyle
Fontstyles is a function which returns a list of styles available for a font and size
I think you have to use "textStyle"
I'd like to know how to set the default properties of objects created using the Tools Palette
"Template" should be the magic word for this case. 8)
Best regards
Jean-Marc
https://alternatic.ch

LiveCode_Panos
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:27 am

Hi ittarter,

Maybe you have accidentally set the fontStyle of the stack (or card) to italic. So any new object that you drop from the Tools palette will inherit this fontStyle.

This is probably the reason you don't see that in a new stack.

Best,
Panos
--

ittarter

Post by ittarter » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:13 pm

LiveCode_Panos wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:27 am
Maybe you have accidentally set the fontStyle of the stack (or card) to italic. So any new object that you drop from the Tools palette will inherit this fontStyle.
Nope, I've never set those properties, and they are currently empty.

Setting the textstyle, textfont, etc. of the stack appears to solve both problems (Tools Palette and Property Inspector), however, it also overrides the current settings of any existing object, which is frustrating, but not the end of the world.

Thank you!
jmburnod wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:26 am
"Template" should be the magic word for this case. 8)
That makes sense, but when I set the properties of (for example) templateField (e.g. textfont), the objects produced by the Tools Palette are not impacted. No idea why.

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:33 pm

ittarter wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:13 pm
That makes sense, but when I set the properties of (for example) templateField (e.g. textfont), the objects produced by the Tools Palette are not impacted. No idea why.
Because the IDE does its own thing, means it also sets lots of properties of the TEMPLATExxx when you pull any object from the TOOLS palette, which will probably overwrite your settings.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”