Pre purchase question

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

Dagunster

Pre purchase question

Post by Dagunster » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:24 am

Taking a very serious look at buying into Live Code Indy license. I'm a Java and C# developer on the server and web developer with very good Javascript skills.

I did the download. Apparently not the open source as it is timed for 10 days.

* This is only good for 10 days?
* Is there a way to extend this as I only have about 1 day a week I can devote to research and testing of Live Code.
* It seems I can only start a IOS project, not an Android or other project. Or am I missing something?

* Live Code develops native code on IOS and on Android?
* Or is it in a VM on those devices? If so, which VM on which platforms?
* Compared to native on IOS or Android, can I expect native performance? Or 80%, or ? What would limit performance on Mobile?
* Developing for web? I read I will be using Javascript? How does 'reactive' work? I use Bootstrap currently.
* Screensizes. I have a smaller Android phone and a larger tablet. Same app will run and look good on both?
* I can send requests and receive responses from REST web services I am putting onto Azure? USING HTTPS?

Appreciate as much input as possible before I part with my beloved money and buy the license.

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Pre purchase question

Post by dunbarx » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:15 am

Others will reply to your platform-specific questions.

But the Community version is free, full functioned and a perfect place to test the waters. You can get started in about 15 minutes from now.

Craig Newman

bogs

Post by bogs » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:38 am

I agree with Craig, I would test with the community version first, there are no time limits and very few functional limits. Wish I had answers for your other questions, https can be used but not sure of the extent for what you describe.

There are plenty of threads discussing sizing/resizing and scaling for mobile devices.

bwmilby

Post by bwmilby » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:43 am

Dagunster wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:24 am
* This is only good for 10 days?
* Is there a way to extend this as I only have about 1 day a week I can devote to research and testing of Live Code.
Yes, only 10 days for full functionality. The Community version is free (as mentioned) and allows you to test the waters for as long as needed. You would be limited to desktop/server/android/HTML5 though.
* Live Code develops native code on IOS and on Android?
Native (but not all UI elements are available as true native elements)
* Developing for web? I read I will be using Javascript? How does 'reactive' work? I use Bootstrap currently.
HTML5 is a separate "product" but you can develop/test using the Community version. It is built using emscripten and uses actual LiveCode. You will develop a stack (app) and deploy similar to how a native app is built. I've not done anything with this aspect yet, so others would need to comment.
* Screensizes. I have a smaller Android phone and a larger tablet. Same app will run and look good on both?
Yes, you can code an app to adjust to the size of the device.
* I can send requests and receive responses from REST web services I am putting onto Azure? USING HTTPS?
Yes, using library code. tsNet and async will require Indy or higher though.
Brian Milby

Script Tracker https://github.com/bwmilby/scriptTracker

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:19 am

Commercial LiveCode is relatively costly, so it is only really justified when you know
that you are going to develop something where you don't want people looking at your code.

So:

1. Develop whatever you're going to develop.

2. Go out and buy some old, second-hand computers and run your target Operating systems on them and/or
set up target systems inside some sort of virtualisation environment if your base machine is powerful enough.

3. Test your standalones built by the Community standalone builder on those machines / virtual things.

4. When you are completely comfortable, then, and only then, pay for a commercial version.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”