Use of Mac OS in developing app for a Windows network

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

montymay

Use of Mac OS in developing app for a Windows network

Post by montymay » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:09 am

I must replace my Windows 10 laptop with a new laptop. I am writing an application that will be deployed to a Windows network. Before my laptop became unavailable, I worked in the IDE both at home (Windows 10) and at work (Windows 7). I sync'd the files daily with an external hard drive so that I could work both at home and at work.

I am considering buying a MacBook Pro (LC had its origins in HC after all), but concerned about any incompatibility issues. I know a developer can deploy the standalone to either platform, but will there be any problem in syncing the IDE files between Windows 7 and the MacOS? I searched the LC web site, User Guide, and this forum, but could not get a hit that discussed the question. Is the answer yes, but the workaround is using BootCamp on the Mac? If it is discussed, somewhere perhaps all I need is a pointer. Thanks for your replies.

Monty May

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Use of Mac OS in developing app for a Windows network

Post by dunbarx » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:10 am

Hi.

I develop exclusively on a Mac, and deploy exclusively to Windows 7.

Not a network, but I bet it does not matter. I am not sure I ever heard of an issue with the "develop here, deploy everywhere" paradigm.

Craig Newman

montymay

Post by montymay » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:02 am

Thanks, Craig, for your reply. If I understand the term "deploy" correctly, it means in the IDE you can convert the application to a standalone for a selected platform, but I know you can do that. My question is different. If I am just developing in the IDE, before deployment to a standalone, and, using an external hard drive, daily syncing the *.livecode stack files between a PC and a Mac, will it work? Or do I have to have Windows installed on the Mac? Since you must choose your platform when you installing the LC IDE, it indicates to a beginner such as I that it will not work unless you are syncing between the same platforms. Just want to make sure before I buy a Mac that runs Windows. There are additional costs.

Monty

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:10 am

I think your confusing the IDE with the stacks it puts out.
montymay wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:02 am
Since you must choose your platform when you installing the LC IDE, it indicates to a beginner such as I that it will not work unless you are syncing between the same platforms.
Think of it more like this, the *IDE* does need to be installed per the system your running on, but the stacks that you make will work in any version of the IDE (of the same or more advanced version) on any platform, much like a text file can be created anywhere and read in any text editor.

I can make and post a stack here from my Linux box, and have done so a few times, and anyone with the IDE installed can open and use or modify that stack on any operating system, **providing the IDE understands the stacks format.

**Note - v6.7 can I think read back to Mc, but can't read 7.x, unless in 7.x you have preserve legacy format set, and so on.

montymay

Post by montymay » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:22 am

Question answered. Thank, Bogs.

Mnnty May

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:09 am

Glad I could help, it was confusing to me at first too.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”