Session Suggestions for LiveCode Global

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Session Suggestions for LiveCode Global

Post by dunbarx » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:37 pm

. I wonder if easier and simpler tutorials would increase the retention rate of new people trying the language or programming for the first time.
I think the issue is getting past the fear of even starting. To be fair, anyone even contemplating starting to learn how to program a computer may already be somewhat fearless (or foolish). A finished working stack, quickly and straightforwardly constructed with simple tools and one handler is what is required.

There must be an "I can do this" at the end, or nobody will pursue it.

We must ignore the fact that the the newbie will very quickly come the the point where it takes a lot more of what the demo hinted at in order to advance to the point of even modest proficiency. How many threads have the theme "There is a learning curve, and you have to work at it..."

But that is not the goal of this effort. The goal is to get a lot of people to even try. Perhaps after the demo concludes, a dazzling stack of real power can be run.

Anyone remember what Rocky Rococo said about hanging around a drug store, giving away free high schools?

Craig

Mikey

Re: Session Suggestions for LiveCode Global

Post by Mikey » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:34 pm

I just did one for LCG, and it took me 10 hours to complete 1 hour. Maybe the next one will be faster. I think videos are more compelling and so they will be used more.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”