Switching from sqlite to mySQL

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

lupacexi

Switching from sqlite to mySQL

Post by lupacexi » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:39 pm

Hello

So I understand that SQLite is a localized within the application in writing. How do I switch to MySQL, as the application will need to connect to a server? How do I set this stuff up, I have no idear how to. Currently, I have a server rack running Ubuntu Linux distro 16.04. How do I switch from SQLite to MySQL?

bogs

Re: Switching from sqlite to mySQL

Post by bogs » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:22 pm

I believe this is the article your looking for https://support.rackspace.com/how-to/in ... on-ubuntu/

danielrr

Post by danielrr » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:51 pm

I believe this is the article your looking for https://support.rackspace.com/how-to/in ... on-ubuntu/
Is it? Can't find a section on how to port a DB from SQLite to MySQL.

bogs

Post by bogs » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:46 pm

I am sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my answer. The link was in reference to your original post questions
lupacexi wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:39 pm
How do I switch to MySQL, as the application will need to connect to a server? How do I set this stuff up, I have no idear how to. Currently, I have a server rack running Ubuntu Linux distro 16.04...
The article tells you how to setup mysql on your distro, and the link at the bottom tells you how to configure it when finished.

As to how you would move a complete local sqlite db to a completely remote server sql db, I would think you'd have to read the sqlite db into either memory or the program, reading it into a simple table control would be the easiest to make sure it is formatted correctly, and then save it out as mysql. You would have to form the connections to both dbs to do that, connect to the sqlite first, read it in, connect to the mysql, write it out.

In Lc, if the db doesn't exist, it will be created at the location your saving out to, so that part of it isn't too much of a problem on the mysql side.

For specific instructions on working with different dbs (creating/updating/etc) you can go to this page and scroll down to 'Databases', Max's entries are usually a bit more complete than the standard dictionary, and the different databases Lc can work with are listed.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”