Performance problems in LiveCode

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

javiecholson188

Performance problems in LiveCode

Post by javiecholson188 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:53 am

I'm trying to puzzle out some performance differences in LiveCode as I have it installed on different machines. The problem machine is my netbook, running Windows 8.1. Running LiveCode 8.1.8 on this, I get a real performance hit when I use the message box. CPU spikes to about 50% and typing in it is slow to the point of unusability. I get similar problems using the script editor. Just scrolling up and down in it takes CPU up to about 50% with corresponding sluggishness. Other than that, general use of the IDE is OK.

On my work laptop with Windows 7 there is no problem with the message box or editor, again running LC 8.1.8.

I wondered if it had something to do with the LC version. So I tried LC 7 on the netbook - and the problems vanished! No more CPU spike on using the message box or script editor, no more sluggishness. I could type something in the message box and no longer have to wait a minute or so for the text to appear.

Does anyone know what might be going on here? Is there a known problem with Windows 8? Was some new feature introduced in LC 8 that could have led to this slowdown?

I'm pretty sure the Project Browser also suffered from the same slowness when using LC 8 on my netbook. Certainly in LC 7 it seems much more responsive.

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Performance problems in LiveCode

Post by richmond62 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:01 am

Was some new feature introduced in LC 8 that could have led to this slowdown?
If you take a look at the ToolBar in LiveCode 7 and then in LiveCode 8 you will see
that a huge amount of new features were added.

Although whether they are responsible for the performance hit I cannot say.

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by dunbarx » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:37 pm

This may not be pertinent to your issue, but I had a similar problem with scrolling in the SE when I changed the font to one that pleased me. Disaster, and I could not figure out why. It turns out that some fonts work just fine, and some slowed scrolling to a crawl. I found a font that I liked (Lucida Fax Regular) that worked normally, and never looked back.

Craig Newman

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:59 pm

SE and PB have a lot of spurious performance issues (Windows 10, LC vs 9 dp x). I wish I could get a reliable recipe to make a proper bug report.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:35 pm

LiveCode V9 rc1 was released yesterday, with many significant changes. It may be worth trying that version to see if there problem persists.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”